Every Kid Is One Caring Adult Away From A Success Story

This is why I stand behind teachers...

209
Photo by Celia Ortega on Unsplash
“Education is the most powerful weapon in which you can use to change the world."

What are you doing with your life right now at this very second? Oh, yes, you are reading this article. Do you know how you are able to read this article?

Your teacher(s).

We have reached a time where some of the most important people are so unappreciated; what a sad time. I know how unappreciated teachers are because I live with one. I am majoring in elementary education, and a few of the people I look up to the most are teachers.

You may shrug your shoulder at the issues present in today’s society because maybe they do not personally affect you, however, you are so wrong. Education is the root of everything else. Without public education, our society would not be the functioning society it is. Your daughter, son, niece, nephew, friend, friend’s child, etc. would not receive the knowledge and strength they need to survive in society.

Schooling does so much more than provide knowledge and strength though. School is a second home to many kids and the closest thing to a home some kids have. I have been fortunate to grow up in a well-established, functioning family, however, I have been in public schools where kids do not have a caring guardian.

Home is not just a place anymore, it is a feeling. It is a feeling of safety, security and love. School provides students with teachers who CARE, teachers who love them as their own, teachers who clothe them when parents cannot, teachers who buy them school supplies when they aren’t provided any at home, teachers make sure they have food in their backpack to eat when they know there’s none at home. So, tell me, how do you think our society would be without these caring teachers?

I had a teacher in high school who would spend his lunchtime, the only 30 minutes of sanity he probably had the whole day, to help myself and other students learn anatomy, specifically the bones and their names. Why did he do that? Because he cared. To me, he was one of the most important people. He cared about my success enough to do whatever it took to help me. I felt like I was capable. Guess what? I was.

I have also seen a teacher, my mother to be exact, stuff a child’s backpack full of food and clothes to take home. That child would not be provided food at home all weekend, so guess who made sure that child had food? A caring teacher. He was not able to buy new clothes that did not smell/ have holes, so guess who gave him clothes? My mom, the most caring teacher I know.

Teachers are given a small, when I say small I mean extremely small, fraction of what they spend in their classrooms. You may think, “Well, that’s the teacher’s choice to spend their own money on supplies.” Sure, that is true. However, how do you like the Christmas presents/ornaments they make you during class, the projects they complete to bring home to display, the STEM activities they are engaged in, rather than a worksheet? These projects, presents, activities happen because of the teacher’s constant flow of money into the classroom.

Teachers do not ask for much, if anything, in return for the many, many things they do. But, if they deserve one thing, above all, it is RESPECT. Respect from parents, administration, the community, the legislature, everyone.

If you want your child, cousin, niece, nephew, brother, sister, etc. to have a caring teacher like this then stand behind our teachers during this trying time. Stand behind the person who spends more time with your child during the day than you will. Stand behind the person who makes sure children are fed, clothed, and loved. Stand behind the person who teaches your child right from wrong and what respect is. Stand behind the person who is the reason you have the artwork on your fridge and the homemade Christmas ornaments. Respect the people who do the most for our children.