Every Day For The Rest Of My Life

Every Day For The Rest Of My Life

If money was of no concern, this is what I would do with my time.

44
Every Day For The Rest Of My Life
Cierra Grimes

If money was of no concern and you could delegate your time to whatever you wanted, what would you choose? The answer to that question will vary greatly depending on the person you ask. As for myself, I would gladly volunteer with the elderly almost every day of my life. It really does not matter to me what exactly what each day would entail. I would gladly spend hours playing board games, or listening to them talk about their lives. I would not mind watching a game show or maybe learning how to knit a sweater. I receive absolute joy from talking with an older person. I feel as though the older generations have so much knowledge to offer. I feel so compelled to make each elderly person know that hey are special and that someone cares about what they have to say.

Often my parents think that I am a little odd for these feelings of mine. It is hard for me to explain why I feel so compelled to conversing with the elderly. I feel as though I have had these joyful feelings toward older people almost all of my life. When I see an elderly person walking down the street, or in my church it simply brings a smile to my face and the sight of them warms my heart.

Reading all of this you must make you wonder what has caused me to be this way. I have no clear-cut answer, but I do know that I value every moment I have ever gotten to spend with my grandparents. The bond I have with my grandparents is a bond unlike any other. My parents did a very good job of establishing the importance of forming a strong relationship with all of my grandparents growing up. To expand on this idea, my dad’s parents live in Tennessee and although they live far away I feel as though our bond is still very strong. I have made a point to spend some time in Tennessee each summer since I was about 4 years old. Although with Kettering’s schedule I was unable to do that this summer, I am going to spend the 4 day break we have in September down in Tennessee. The things we have done over the years have obviously varied. My grandma has taught me to make different desserts over the past few years. My grandpa and I have spent years playing each other in backgammon. It never matters to me what exactly we do each day. It simply matters that I have always managed to make time for them in my life. The moments I have spent with my grandparents are moments I will always treasure.

I have made sure that each of my grandparents feel loved by me. It has always been very important to me that each one of them knows that I value their presence and treasure every moment I get to spend with them.

I think the relationships I have built with my family has caused me to spread that love to the elderly I encounter in my everyday life. Nothing brings me greater joy than knowing I brightened someone’s day, especially if they are older.