Evan Taylor Can Be Considered A Hero

Evan Taylor Can Be Considered A Hero

He's been in the hospital more than he's been at home with his family, but he fights for them.

79
Evan Taylor Can Be Considered A Hero
Evan Taylor

Have you ever looked at someone with such amazement? Maybe because they're really good at a certain sport or because they're really smart or because they're really pretty. It could just be that they inspire you so you idolize them. Everyone has someone like that, me included.

This is the story of a man named Evan Taylor, who's currently 24 years old and laying in a hospital bed, but I'll explain that later.

He was a boy born to his mother Lisa who was only 18 at the time, but his father was never around. Because of this, Lisa raised Evan practically on her own, which led to a very strong bond between mother and son.

As Evan was finishing up high school, he decided that he wanted to join the United States Army. He spent time training both mentally and physically for this sort of undertaking. At 18, he was ready to go, but something held him back. On May 12, 2010, he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. This led to three years of chemotherapy, but, because of his slow response to the treatment, six more months were tacked on. During these three and a half years, he had to undergo eight days of radiation on his head, several bone marrow biopsies and countless spinal taps. Treatments began in 2010, but were not completely finished until September 6, 2013.

Despite all these things going wrong, something seemed to go right. Evan met a girl named Alecia in August 2011, and they began to date that October. Together, they brought a baby into this world three years later on April 19. His name is Kaleb. Evan, being the strong man he is, worked hard to sustain a place to live for the family he started and made sure they had everything they needed.

Things had been going decent for Evan and his new family until February 2015, when he went in for a regular checkup only to make a discovery that alerted doctors to do a bone marrow biopsy that same month.

It only took three days for the doctors to call Evan with the terrible news — he had a relapse in his Leukemia.

It took the same amount of time for the doctors to put Evan on intense chemo treatments that would last for nine months. From August 8 to August 13, he went through a very intense type of chemotherapy called Cytoxan as well as full body radiation twice a day for 30 per each of his sessions.

On August 14, he received his new bone marrow. As if this wasn't hard enough for Evan and his family, the chemo and radiation led to a disease called Muscusitis, which is painful and caused his colon to perforate. As if his body wasn't already going through enough, it began to fill up with a poison which caused complications with his kidneys that were serious enough to put him in a two-day coma. Because of this, Evan was put in the Medical Intensive Care Unit for 12 days. Due to these complications with his body, Evan almost lost his life. He's had two major surgeries, several drain tubes and several infections.

His most recent time in the hospital is right now as I type out his story. A needle that was used to draw his blood during a clinical went too far into his arm that caused an infection to spread throughout his body. With dangerously low oxygen levels, he's been unable to breathe for himself. As a matter of fact, there's not much he can do on his own right now, but he refuses to give up; he gets a little stronger with every day that passes.

He's been in the hospital more than he's been at home with his family, but he fights for them. He fights for Lisa and Kaleb. He fights for the rest of his family. He fights for his life. Though he was unable to fight for his country like he wanted, that doesn't make him any less of a hero than he is today.