The Most Environmentally Friendly 2018 Resolution

And no, it's not go to the gym more often.
98

I had something entirely different planned for this week’s article. I’ll admit, it was something that was going to be along the lines of fun ways to actually stick to your New Year’s resolution. However, the person residing in the White House decided to tweet something about how global warming should warm up the colder parts of the country. Now, this article has turned into a rallying call.

Make your 2018 resolution environmentally friendly.

Recycling has always been a thing for some time now, but how many of you actually recycle? It always seems more convenient to throw your empty bottles in the trash instead of the recycle bin, right? Make this the year that you actually make the conscious effort to recycle those bottles. Better yet, invest in a reusable bottle. I saw one at Walmart the other day for two dollars, so it's not a major expense. Research what products you use in your everyday life that can be recycled. Can you forgo sandwich and snack bags for washable cloth ones? Find snacks that have recyclable packaging, or just take fresh fruits and veggies as snacks.

Start a compost pile. You can make one for cheap by using newspaper, dirt, and a storage bin with holes poked in the lid. Fruit and veggie scraps, egg shells, coffee and tea grounds, and recyclable paper can be used in your compost pile. Don't put any meat scraps or products that aren't recyclable in your bin as it attracts pests and counteracts the work that you're trying to do. You may also consider purchasing red wiggler worms from Amazon to aid in your compost. At the end, you have nutrient-rich soil to grow plants!

The biggest thing you can do is research. Research what you can do to help the environment in a time when political leaders see it as a passing glance. Find products that are made from recyclable items. Reduce trash. Donate to places that help aid in a better future for our world. You can also call up your local recycling and trash facility to see how you can help them. Did you know that pizza boxes aren't recyclable because of the grease, yet frozen pizza boxes are? Many products that you recycle actually hinder the process because you can't actually recycle them, and that's why it's so important to make sure you're actually doing the right thing.

Fight the power. Show everyone that we care about the future of our planet.