32 Things That You Learn Upon Entering Adulthood

Aside from your social life being your wine and your cat.

912
Whitney Turek

There are a lot of changes that happen when you hit the "adulthood" step-stone. While most are excited to finally become an adult....the excitement quickly fades as you realize it, and the responsibilities it comes with, are not as fun as it is cracked up to be. After all, adulting is...

1. Having to choose between feeding you and your cat or paying rent on time.

2. Learning to like the break-room coffee because you can’t afford Starbucks every day.

3. Dreading the electricity bill every month because you can never predict how much it’ll be.

4. Running every fan you can the following month because you went over budget on last month’s but you can’t stand living like Satan in the middle of summer.

5. Trying to control your anger when you realize just how much of your paycheck gets taken out for taxes.

6. Going out the bars and being ready to go home and go to bed by midnight.

7. Lying in bed wondering how you were ever able to shotgun beers and take shots all day at the tailgates and after parties without getting hungover.

8. Actually doing your own laundry.

9. Being excited in home improvement stores.

10. Ordering everything online, even groceries, so you don’t have to leave your house.

11. Having the 4 to 5 p.m. hour become the longest hour of your life because you can finally go home and nap at 5.

12. Getting your own credit cards.

13. Forever trying to pay off those credit card debts.

14. Never getting through all of your emails.

15. Frozen dinners become the norm.

16. Slowly becoming out of touch with the “young ones.”

17. Scheduling your own dentists and doctors’ appointments.

18. When your friend group consists mostly of people double your age.

19. Your work social hour is as social as your life gets.

20. Not being able to sleep past 8:30 a.m. because of your internal clock.

21. Having to pay for you own car insurance.

22. And being thankful for being able to stay on your parent’s health insurance until you’re 26.

23. Waking up to work out before work because that’s the only time you can fit it in.

24. Monitoring your credit score.

25. Figuring up how much longer your student loan payments will haunt you.

26. Struggling to find things to fill your free time with that don’t cost money.

27. Installing your own cable and internet to avoid paying the extra $50.

28. Learning what a 401K is.

29. Substituting wine for ice cream for celebrations.

30. Substituting wine for ice cream for breakups.

31. Only getting excited for a second when you remember its pay day…and then want to cry when you realize 90% of it will go toward bills.

32. Having a mental breakdown at least twice a month.