Coping With Quarantine During The Coronavirus Pandemic
News

From the perspective of an extrovert

36

As a 21-year-old in college, there is always something to do. Living in an apartment of six best friends might have something to do with that, but either way there are always activities to be apart of. At this stage in my life, my biggest problem is choosing between school and socializing. Or so I thought that was my biggest problem. Now in this time of uncertainty, I have lost both. In retrospect, I guess I should've developed more hobbies beyond hanging out with friends in public. With that being said, it's safe to say that I find myself feeling uneasy during this time of uncertainty.

I'm not sure if you guys know what the enneagram test is, but basically it helps us to know our personality type and what our strengths and weaknesses are. While the test has its flaws, it allows us to be more mindful of our patterns and unconscious motivation of our behaviors.

I bring this up because I am undeniably a type seven, which is named The Enthusiast because sevens are enthusiastic about almost everything that catches our attention. We approach life with curiosity, optimism, and a sense of adventure, like "kids in a candy store" who look at the world wide-eyed in anticipation of all the good things we are about to experience. Therefore, when everything is closed (even the beaches I live on) it is hard to find purpose and drive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Dy6XLDJys/?igshid=1o3byybqesqk9

This is one of my favorite enneagram instagram accounts due to the fact that it highlights each type really well and provides words of encouragement. This post was especially helpful because it reminded me that it's okay to feel feelings and being sad is valid. I have not only welcomed this wave of emotions with open arms, but I have also been countering them by staying active, both physically and mentally! Whether it is going for a bike ride or making a four foot collage, everyday I push myself to do something new. I want to urge everyone to take the enneagram test and read up on how their type deals with obstacles and stress because doing so has helped me tremendously during this time!