Perfect Jobs For An English Major

I Was Offered Two Jobs In One Day That Made My Little English Major Heart Swoon

Within the same day, I was given the chance to take on jobs that are perfect for my major: both my dream (part-time) job and a position that I never thought I would hear about again!

40
Book Store

For so many years, I always dreamed of working at my all-time favorite store in the world, Barnes and Noble. The majority of my life has been spent reading books, almost all of which were bought from that very company, and what better job is out there for me where I am always surrounded by and working with books and I can give recommendations to anyone who asks for anything new to read?

To work at this store, even for as little as part-time, has been my dream job for as long as I can remember going there to buy books…

See also my article "A Letter To Barnes And Noble, My Home Away From Home."

Still, I was thinking all the while that even if I had no chance at all with Barnes and Noble, I was always hoping that my love for reading and writing would eventually pay off in more ways than none… My English major and soon-to-be Creative Writing/Lit minor have to pay off somehow!

See also my other article "I Chose To Be An English Major To Tell All The Stories I Have In My Head."

Anyway, as of now, I have had over two and a half years worth of cashiering at two different stores, so I figured that I had a better chance at achieving this dream. However, despite my work experience, every time I applied online every few months to the East Northport or Lake Grove store locations, I would receive either no response or an automated rejection email.

Now, with two-thirds of this summer gone and still no job, I needed to get some answers. A few days ago, I decided to go to the store in East Northport and ask the manager about the main issue that always resulted in my applications getting turned down. She told me that the most recent applications are more likely checked every time the hiring cycle begins and that since she was planning to look at applications in a couple days anyway, I should apply again so she can check.

I am ever so glad I did, because the morning after I applied, I got calls from both stores!

The one from Lake Grove was for an interview, and the one from East Northport was mainly a follow-up from the manager who contacted the Lake Grove manager and told him about my application. I couldn't believe that after all these years, I finally have a shot to work as a bookseller at my favorite company (at a store that's actually closer to SBU) and judging from the interview I had in Lake Grove earlier today, I'd say that my chances are looking great!

My almost decade-long dream is finally coming true, and I couldn't be more grateful…

And that's not all: later that night, after I made my calls with both stores, I received an email from Craigslist about my application a few months ago for a writer/editor position, a job that would allow me to write articles about various given topics from the comfort of my own home, and I was accepted! Two job offers on the same day? Both of which are perfect matches for a book-loving, creative writing English major like me? What are the odds?

Though I still can't believe the streak of luck I had yesterday, instead of questioning it, I'm embracing it and not letting it go.