End Of The Semester Stretch

End Of The Semester Stretch

We can make it!

17
End Of The Semester Stretch
Thrillist

It's that time of the semester - looming due dates for final papers and projects, lingering quizzes, professors are giving last-minute assignments, not to mention the dreaded final exams. Your GPA isn't nearly where you wanted it to be, and there's not a lot of time left. There aren't exactly any Hail Mary passes in the world of education. To say it's stressful is the understatement of, well, the semester.

Naturally, we all just want to be done. No more homework, no more studying, no more late night library sessions, nothing. Sweet, sweet nothing. And we'll get there, I promise. But when we think about all we have left to do before the end of the semester, break seems years and years away. How will we ever get there? Will we survive?

We will, I promise. We've survived hard semesters before, we'll survive hard semesters again. It just takes lots of coffee, prayers, coffee, time management, coffee, hard work, and... did I mention coffee? Maybe a couple of tears too...

I know it might feel like there's no end in sight, but I promise there is. Look how far you've come! The end of the semester sneaks up out of nowhere. It's funny how it sneaks up on you, but once you notice it, time slooooooows down. The fast-paced semester is still fast-paced, but you don't seem to have enough time in the day to accomplish everything that needs to be done. Time is moving quickly, because you're so overwhelmed with everything that you have to finish, but it's also moving slowly, because the end of the semester just won't come.

My best advice? Be like the semester: slow down. I know, I know. It's a crazy thought. How can we ever get anything done if we slow down? We're so go go go all the time. I promise you, giving yourself time to relax will help you get things done. Granted, I understand the struggle. If I sit down to watch a show, I feel guilty, like there's work I should be doing. But it's also important to recognize the need to take care of yourself. Try your best, and let God take care of the rest.

Find what works best for you - is it short breaks throughout the day, or an occasional longer break? Is it taking a nap, praying, calling a friend, or eating a snack? It's different for everyone. But just know we're all on the struggle bus together.

For me, it helps when I write lists. Lists of what I have each week, lists of assignments for each class. When I finish something, I can cross it off my list. It's like counting down until the end of the semester, one completed assignment at a time.

So yes, it's hard. But it's certainly not impossible. Stay focused, stay organized. Keep your head in the game. Enjoy the gift of knowledge God is giving you. This is the home stretch. We'll make it, I promise.