Empowering Women

Empowering Women

We are all empowered in different ways - who's to say the right or wrong way we can?

31
Empowering Women

Being a feminist, as great and empowering as it is, can also be difficult. Within feminism, there's different types of people who believe certain things within feminism. "If you're a feminist, why are you wearing that dress?" "You're not a feminist because you sleep around!" "You can't be a feminist if you act that way." Empowering women is about making them feel strong and powerful and allowing them to play a significant role in society. By telling a woman that she can't do this, this or this because 'it goes against feminist' or because 'she is a feminist' is the opposite of what we should be doing. It only furthers the inequality we are trying so hard to overcome.

We live in a society where there are a lot of ways a women can make herself feel powerful. As much as it is not up to anyone to decide whether someone else's music taste is good or bad, it is also no one's choice to decide what does and what does not empower a woman. You wouldn't tell someone who loves drawing that it's not a "real" hobby, so why would you tell a woman that wearing a hijab in public isn't "really" empowering?

The word "feminist" unfortunately comes with a backlash. Not many people accept it, for some reason it has become a dirty word. Feminists are all seen as being man-hating extremists who are ugly and hairy and can't take criticism. Feminist is not a negative term! But since people believe this, we are meant to fit a certain stereotype or be a certain way if we are a feminist. People who think this way, whether they label themselves as feminists or not, are furthering this bias. Just because a women is a feminist, doesn't mean she can't be girly and like makeup and like to be pretty as much as being a feminist doesn't mean you need to be a lesbian who doesn't shave her armpits; there is not right or wrong way to be a feminist, but there is wrong is judging someone and their choices because they are one.

If wearing sexy clothing makes you feel powerful: do it. If staying single makes you feel powerful: do it. If being in a relationship makes you feel powerful: do it. If posting a selfie on Instagram makes you feel powerful: do it. That is what is so great about empowering women, there are so many different ways and things that can make a woman feel encouraged to express and use the power she has. Women are born being just as powerful as men, the problem is it is not as often encouraged and is instead controlled and manipulated. "I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity" (Angelina Jolie on her double mastectomy).

Not only is empowering women and girls important for their self esteem, future relationships, confidence, and education but it is also a key role in supporting the economy, making political policies more well-rounded and equal, and overturning beauty standards (for everyone, not just women). Women are half the population, keeping them down is only going to keep down the possibilities that could come by encouraging them. "At the end of the day, I'm going to encourage any type of woman. You don't have to be a woman like me for me to encourage and support you and tell you 'Yes bitch! Keep on going!'" (Cardi B). Supporting women and all genders to embrace their passions and pleasures while always honoring themselves will improve our society so much. How is it that in 2017 we're still contemplating the idea that a woman can still be empowered while wearing a crop top?