Women, You Should Be Empowering Other Women

Who run the world? Girls.

14
Express News

As women, let’s talk about what we should be doing with our time, instead of bitching about our weight, trolling social media to see what another girl is doing, feeling jealous, or complaining that we’re not on the right track at 24-years-old, shall we? I know this might cut into our Netflix binge watching days, but it’ll be worth it, I promise.

The number one thing we should be doing is empowering each other. One definition of the word is: make (someone) strong and more confident, especially in controlling their life and claiming their rights. Now, I could drop the mic right here, walk off stage and never say another word again. How important is this, right? All we do in this society is complain and feel jealousy toward others and their lives. We say, “she’s not that pretty,” when we know she is. We throw shade and talk about others, because our own insecurities scream at us all day long. We think every girl on Instagram is living a better life than we are and we’re mad about it. We should be lifting everyone up and being proud of everyone for the steps we’re making in this life. We are all fighting battles. It feels amazing to hear that we are doing well or that we look great. So why don’t we tell each other that more often? What a world it would be if we could rely on another woman to be supportive and she wasn’t our best friend. A few kind words can go a long way and we know it.

Success, happiness and confidence are all relative terms and we all feel them differently. How have we become so catty and judgmental about things we have no right to feel like “experts” about? Why is our existence as women about who is better, prettier and has the better job? Why aren’t we making each other better people, instead of tearing each other down? We are focused on things that don’t even matter like makeup, fitness, clothes, jobs, etc. and it needs to stop.

Empower. We are women and we have to fight twice as hard to be heard. We are called bitches when we are fierce, confident and making our presence known. We are called needy when we ask for the things we deserve. The word feminism is placed in a bad light, because of the activists who hated men once a million years ago. We should not be put into categories. Instead, we should be embracing each other. It is 2016 and we are NOT equal to men. If our first step of being educated, strong, humble women is to empower each other and give everyone the same voice, then we will be closer to the progress we’ve been wanting since the dawn of time. If we just started with being kind to ourselves and each other, we’d be ahead of the game. As women we should not be competing with each other, we should be laughing, praising and encouraging one another’s strengths. We should all be screaming to and with each other, “I am good enough, strong enough, beautiful enough and worthy.” That’s the world I want to live in someday.

There’s this amazing woman named Sophia Bush, you know, Brooke Davis, beautiful, funny and strong character from One Tree Hill, or Officer Lindsey from Chicago P.D. She’s played a great character in every one of her roles, but none of them are as strong, fierce and empowering as the real Sophia. She gets swept under the radar as this beautiful person everyone grew up loving, watching her take over Tree Hill, North Carolina, but the media doesn’t talk about her anymore. I know a few girls who are on the #SophiaBushForPresident train, but that’s not enough. How many of you know what she’s doing now? What she stands for, believes in and promotes? She is an activist, a feminist, a believer in women, girls and their education all over this world. She is a goddess and a true leader of the kind of female we should all aspire to be. She stands on panels with some of the fiercest and most successful women in the world. She was apart of the 51 Million Voices luncheon for women voters, promoter of The Girl Project, which raises money for education for girls all around the world and the list keeps going. Sometimes I think the media doesn’t highlight people like her, because our world is scared to see what powerful women can and will do.

So you see, people ARE talking about women’s rights, empowerment and women’s education all over the world, but are we listening? Are we too busy talking about Khloe Kardashian’s new, fictionally fit body, the Kylie Lip Kit, the Victoria Secret Fashion Show or the political views in the race to hell we’re in, when we don’t even know what we believe in? If you want to be jealous of someone, or be like someone else, make that person Sophia Bush.

Find what you believe in, hold on to it and give it everything you have. Follow amazing females like Sophia Bush or Emma Watson and really listen. Put down the Snapchat for two seconds or long enough to realize there’s more to life than filters, jealousy and living a catty life. I am a millennial and people of higher generations look down on this generation; let’s do something about that. I myself am learning how to support others no matter what, tell someone she looks beautiful instead of feeling jealousy and really listening to the role models I look up to. Start speaking up about being a woman and how beautiful and strong we all are. That’s how changes happen; with a pencil, a voice, a tweet, a something.