I Asked Upperclassmen For Their Advice For College Freshmen And The Results Are Empowering

"Whatever you do, do NOT go for the guy your friends say isn't worth it. Don't do it."

516
college students
Becky Sebring

As freshman move-in day quickly approaches, the nerves can peak just as much as your excitement. If you're anything like me when I was a freshman, I was seeking all sorts of encouragement and advice, in attempt to make my transition to college life easier. Therefore, I decided to ask a range of upperclassman for their advice for incoming freshman, and the results are honestly empowering.

1. "Make sure you have fun, but remember to take care of yourself. Your health comes before education, so take those naps and relax sometimes."

- Sophomore

2. "Whatever you do, do NOT go for the guy your friends say isn't worth it. Don't do it."

- Sophomore

3. "Don't forget to relax! You and your mental health is way more important than grades!"

- Unknown

4. "Call your parents. Text your friends still in high school. Call your Grandma. Don't forget where you came from. If you ever need help, your friends and family back home will always be a great support system."

- Sophomore

5. "Don't make cutting class a habit. If you're not going simply because you don't want to, that's not a good enough excuse."

- Junior

6. "Understand your human limitations in scheduling and sleep needs."

- Sophomore

7. "For the love of God, vacuum the carpet in your dorm. Often."

- Sophomore

8. "When your parents say go to class. Listen to them. It's easy to skip if you're tired or just not feeling it. But remember that each class costs money and you already paid to be there. You will also be coving new content all the time, so you don't want to miss that and do poorly on an exam."

- Unknown

9. "Take that nap. Your sanity will thank you later."

- Sophomore

10. "Attend every event you can. Find people who take interest in what you like."

- Sophomore

11. "GET INVOLVED!!!! It makes everything so much easier, it helps you find friends, it pass your resume, it helps you find your passions. Don't go overboard and wear yourself thin but find things you are interested in and run with it."

- Junior

12. "Stay on campus for the first month of school and put yourself out there!"

- Sophomore

13. "It's ok to not know what you want to do. You don't have to stick with the major you had planned in high school."

- Sophomore

14. "Don't be afraid to ask questions or to explore an idea you have. No one can make it happen but you. You can do almost anything, you just have to be willing to walk through the door and take initiative. You also can't be afraid to ask for help. College is about opening new resources to you. Utilize them. Finally, try to relax. I cannot express how important it is to make time for yourself. You will be introduced to plenty of new things and might want to do them all. Pace yourself. It's no use filling up your time if you cannot enjoy it. Remember that you are important too. So take care of yourself."

- Senior

15. "Remember not everyone is not always gonna be your friend, find the true ones."

- Sophomore

16. "Don't be afraid to try new things, you could regret not doing it later in life."

- Sophomore

17. "Don't procrastinate when it comes to exams! Be organized."

- Sophomore

18. "Networking with a human element by allowing organic relationships to develop rather than beg for business cards."

- Sophomore

19. "College is meant for you to learn about yourself, what you like to do and how you like to do it. Use that time to figure out what kind of job you might want out of college. For technical education (I think it applies to all education) make sure that you learn how to learn. Learning is a never ending process and will be a very valuable skill. It will help you through class, making it easier on you, and will help you in your career."

- Senior

20. "Take advantage of things on campus and groups/clubs to join. Definitely get involved with things."

- Sophomore

21. "It's okay to not play sports, especially if you're in the 3-2 program."

- Sophomore

22. "Get involved, but don't overcommit. Make sure you have time to relax and/or do nothing!"

- Sophomore

23. "You are going to have people enter and re-enter your life constantly. That is totally fine. This isn't like highschool where there is a personal prejudice for everything; sometimes you just don't click with people and nobody really cares at the end of the day. That being said, if you can't see yourself being friends with someone then don't even bother exerting the energy because holy shit you will be tired. All. The. Time."

- Junior

24. "The true friends you make in college will last the rest of your life. Trust them. Listen to them. Thank them. Often."

- Sophomore

25. "Time management - This is big coming into college. Studying is one of the most important and time consuming tasks you'll have. Rather than putting it off, put it at the top of your list. You'll feel much better and more prepared!"

- Sophomore

26. "Don't forget to relax! You and your mental health are way more important than grades!"

- Junior