Emmys 2018: Three EGOT Recipients and One Marriage Proposal

With Three EGOT Recipients And A Possible New Favorite Comedy, The 2018 Emmys Was Less Predictable Than Previous Years

Hopefully, one comedy show does not sweep up almost all of the awards next year.

819

So, if you didn't know, the Emmys happened. Now, if you are confused about the Emmys, Golden Globes and Oscars, let me explain.

The Emmys are specifically for television shows and give out awards by genre for TV shows (comedy and drama), as well as limited TV series or TV movies.

The Golden Globes is both for television shows and movies, giving out awards by genre for TV Shows and films. And the Oscars is for movies and gives out awards without splitting the categories based on genre.

The Emmys and Oscars are needed to complete the EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony), while Golden Globes are not included in the hard-to-earn EGOT title. And although only 15 celebrities have earned all four of the awards, three celebrities finally earned an Emmy this year to complete their set.

So, congrats to John Legend, Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, who became recipients when they won for Outstanding Variety Special (Live).

This years Emmys was less predictable than prior years, which was amazing to witness. Usually, I find it difficult to watch award shows for television, as I feel like there is always a TV show that wins everything for multiple years in a row. This is especially annoying since other shows deserve recognition that they will never get — such as "Parks and Rec."

Although this can happen for movie awards too, it can never happen consecutive years. And even then, they never truly sweep. Look at "La La Land." Yes, they won most of the awards, but they didn't win Best Picture.

This year, the Comedy category was wide open since long running award favorite "Veep" ended last season. However, there was still a clear favorite this year: "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" took home eight total Emmy awards, becoming the comedy show that won the most Emmys in one night.

"Barry" won the awards for Outstanding Actor and Supporting Actor in a Comedy. I did find it frustrating that only two TV shows won with one just about sweeping all of the categories.

The Drama TV Show winners were spread out among TV shows with "Game of Thrones," "The Americans," "The Crown" and "Westworld" taking home awards. "The Handmaid's Tale" didn't win any awards, which surprised me, as it just about swept the Emmys in 2017.

Limited TV Show, which was dominated by "Big Little Lies" last year (deserved, in my opinion), saw "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story," "Black Mirror." "Godless" and "Seven Seconds" taking home awards this year.

Personally, I was happy to see Henry WInkler win an Emmy, which he got for Outstanding Supportive Actor in a Comedy Series. John Mulaney received Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special, and Thandie Newton won for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for "Westworld." I am a huge fan of "Westworld" and was happy to see her get an award.

"The Americans" finally won an award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama, and it was well deserved, as the show only took home awards for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama before. It was the perfect time for a main actor or actress to win, given that the show is ending.