I'm Majoring In Electronic Media And Film, So Please Write It Down And Stop Asking

This is what I'm learning in college. Educate yourselves.

76

First and Foremost

This article may seem like an over-exaggeration to some, but it's not. I wouldn't be writing this if it weren't, and I think it's important to get this out in the open, once and for all.

The electronic media part

Electronic media is media that one can share on any electronic device for the audience's viewing, unlike static media (printing). Electronic media is broadcasted to a wider community. It includes things like radio, TV, and the Internet.

When I say I'm learning about electronic media, I'm learning how to transform videos, pictures, sound clips, etc. into a format suitable for TV, radio, and the Internet. That could be in the form of learning the ins and outs of editing software so I can eventually work for a company and produce advertisements, short films, or even movies, or it could be working in Protools to design sounds, voices, and music, leading to a career in music or audio production. It could be working on an actual television set and getting hands-on experience of what it's like to direct and produce TV shows.

The possibilities are honestly endless. There is so much I've learned and have yet to learn during these next semesters. The electronic media part is only a glimpse.

The film part

The technical definition of "film," otherwise known as a movie, motion picture, moving picture, or photoplay, is a series of still images that, when shown on a screen, create the illusion of moving images. The more in-depth definition is understanding what screen literacy is.

I know that sounds weird and probably made-up, but it's an actual thing. Screen literacy is like literature, but with movies. It's about learning the aesthetic, cultural, and social significance and interconnections of cinema, television and new screen technologies. In order to work behind the scenes of video production, it's necessary to know the dominant and alternative practices of all types of different film. These range from global media, mass-entertainment, advertising, Hollywood cinema, art cinema, the avant-garde, local and indigenous media, and documentary.

Classes like History of Film and Introduction to Electronic Media and Film explore these aspects of film in a way I had never thought of before. It's background information for anyone who wants to go into the electronic media field.

What kind of job can you get with this major?

Thanks for asking! That's a great question. There are so many careers stemming from this major. You could freelance or work exclusively for a company. You could become an editor, sound designer, casting director, production assistant or manager, digital effects animator, graphic designer, videographer, screenwriter, camera operator, director, producer, advertising agency announcer, broadcast technician, storyboard/concept artist, or lighting director.

The best part is you learn a little bit of everything in the electronic media and film department. You can specify your interest by taking classes that range from beginner to expert levels, advancing your techniques and passion in your chosen field.

Moral of the story:

I have been asked one too many times what my major is and what it entails. Yes, it's completely okay to ask if it's the first or second time. But if you're asking any more than that and know me on a personal basis (hi Mom and Dad), I suggest you look it up, write it down, or do whatever you have to do understand it. Not only would I appreciate it, but it would show you care a little deeper than the surface level in terms of our friendship. Overall, I hope this article shows you what my major has to offer and what I'm taking away from it.

To the ones that don't understand or think it's an unreliable program, it isn't to me. After switching to this major from biology in the spring of 2018, I have discovered more about myself, my interests, and what I want to do with the rest of my life. I want to make ideas come to life visually in ways that impact people to the core.

Yes, that sounds sappy, but that's how certain movies, commercials, and music make me feel. If I can have that kind of influence on people, then I've achieved something amazing. Hopefully, with my dedication and hard work, you'll be able to see my name somewhere on the rolling credits of a major motion picture someday!

Wish me luck!