Embrace How Basic You Are

Ladies, It's Time For You To Embrace That You May, In Fact, Be Basic

It's 2019, being basic doesn't have to be a negative thing!

262

If you read my articles, you've probably noticed a continuous trend where I'll call myself basic or use the term almost every single one. For those that don't know, to be "basic" means "only interested in things mainstream, popular, and trending." I used to hate the word and avoid being called it at all costs, even if it meant pretending to hate things I actually loved, like Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande, reality TV shows, my fruity drinks at the bars, etc. Since then, I've learned that life's too short to not embrace exactly who you are and that being "basic" doesn't have to be a bad thing. I have embraced my basicness, and I actually love that aspect about myself.

There's a lot more to being basic than just enjoying popular culture and mainstream things, and you can be basic but still enjoy things outside of that category. I enjoy a lot of the same things as other girls, but I also enjoy a lot of things that aren't considered pop culture (not to be mistaken for a hipster...which, tbh, I also am), like indie movies and music and video games. It's not an all-or-nothing thing to be basic. Just like everything else, it comes with its own uniqueness. And even if you are 100% basic, who cares? It's not a bad thing being 100% true to yourself.

Ladies, the reclamation of ourselves and words that are used to attempt to hurt us has begun. We've already started it with words like "slut" and "bitch," so let's continue that work with "basic," too. Let's embrace who we are to the fullest extent and not give a damn what anyone has to say about it. Don't let these words continue to change and hurt us. Sticks and stones, am I right?

Keep fighting the good fight, ladies, and let's continue to make 2019 the year of the woman.