The Electoral College Is Collapsing And Taking America With It

The electoral college is how America has elected Presidents for centuries, and it's falling apart.

ddrodzx
ddrodzx
405

If you don't know what the electoral college is, you might want to revisit your U.S. history teacher. The Electoral College was created in the 19th century to create a cushion between us citizens and the election of a president.

See, there were these federalist dudes that were so afraid of tyranny that they did as much as they could to create obstructions before America fell into the hands of the all-mighty powerful.

Well sorry to disappoint you Hamilton, but we are already there. President Trump literally leads a spiral of tyrannical destruction which means our only hope lays in the hand of the democratic party. Thing is: they're still salty from 2016 and want to abolish the electoral college. (Yes, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I'm talking about you.)

We're a little screwed.

The electoral college is how they, the Democrats, lost in 2016. Hillary Clinton had the popular vote, but with the way the electoral college is, Donald Trump won.

The electoral college is a certain number of votes per state based on population, no less than three, that represent the state in voting for president of the United States. Here's the kicker: it's a winner take all system, for 48 states.

Basically, if 51% of State A voted for Trump, then 100% of the electoral college of State A voted for Trump. The electoral college favors smaller states overrepresenting them which means miscalculating an election winner.

Democrats are salty and anti-Trump conservatives want him gone without putting a far-left liberal as president (*cough* Bernie).

When you scratch the surface of how useless the electoral college is, you get to see some of the benefits of what our founding fathers were thinking. Sure, it supports a dominant two-party system, but geographically speaking, smaller rural states that wouldn't have a voice without it get one.

Also, bigger states don't have to deal with the sh*tshow of processing ballot, possible voter fraud, run-offs, and more of the unwanted stuff.

The electoral college may be flawed but it's also essential to our democracy — yet so many Democrats want to abolish it.

The electoral college is falling apart and so is America.

Our bipartisanship has broken away over the years, and if we want to save our country, we must learn to work together. We must fix it not throw it away.

This means the great candidates running for office in the Democratic Party must work together, not against each other, in choosing the front-runner to go up against our tyrannical president to win the electoral college, not just popular vote.

However, in the end, whether we are Democrat, Republican, or independent, we are all on team USA.