Election Season Doesn't Give Us The Right To Be Disobedient

How to be in the world, not of the world, in a culture of political vitriol.

5
Raw Conservative

Let me explain why politics are hard for me. I once read an article that described political discourse as the “Las Vegas of Christianity- the environment in which our sin is excused. Hate is winked at, fear is perpetuated and strife is applauded” (Roberts.)

My party preference is completely irrelevant. Whether I want Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton to take over the United States is my business. Americans have to face the reality that it’s going to be one or the other. I overheard a woman in line at the grocery store berating Trump in front of her pre-teen daughter, who was engrossed in her phone, say “LISTEN. This shit is important.” First off, the expletive was unnecessary, but I included it for dramatic effect. The situation rubbed me the wrong way because it reminded me of another conversation I had recently overheard. A man and his wife at the pool spoke loudly and openly about their feelings towards Republicans. Essentially their point seemed to lead towards the premise that Republicans are bad Christians because they are supporting Trump.

Here’s my point.

First of all, your political party does not determine whether or not you go to church. I understand there is a burning desire in some people to veer religion far, far away from the government. Realistically the church has to have its involvement in politics. This is where the strong-willed warp this congregational engagement into congregational definition. Whether you fall towards the Christian Left or the secular Right, don’t care to put up a dividing line, or simply don’t care, we have to open our minds to the truth that this “line” is drawn in pencil. This line can be erased depending on the type of pencil you choose to be. Some pencils have terrible erasers while others have ones that are almost too good to be true. Part of me cringes because we have to dumb down politics to this level, but part of me loves it because it reminds us of the true simple nature. Party lines drawn are drawn with lead, not marked by trip wire. You can cross them. You can erase them. It’s all up to you.

So that wasn’t exactly my point, but it was leading up to it.

Shouldn’t we be emulating the teachings of Jesus instead of scoffing at them?

1 Samuel 16. Read it, y’all.

Now the Lord said to Samuel, "How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have selected a king for Myself among his sons." But Samuel said, "How can I go? When Saul hears of it, he will kill me." And the Lord said, "Take a heifer with you and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.' "You shall invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for Me the one whom I designate to you.”

We need to stop fearing that Trump being elected will spark the universe coming to an end, or Hillary taking Obama’s place will screw America over for all of eternity. Ultimately, be it difficult, when we are afraid we should put our trust in Jesus. Psalm 56:3 doesn’t say “when I am afraid, I put my trust in you, *insert presidential candidate.*” There is no insert. It’s just Jesus.

I will openly admit, my knee jerk response to political disagreement or upheaval is not prayer. It is usually an internal argument between my opinions and my conscience. I try hard to fear no evil. I fail often. That is okay. We have to remember that when we are walking through the darkest valley, we cannot be fearful. We can engage deeply in prayer, but we are not called to be anxious. (I understand this can feel nearly impossible.)

Overall, America has seen its fair share of incredible and lackluster presidents. We’re still here aren’t we? God is still good. This may seem like the most important election in United States history as we sit at 93 million unemployed. It may be the most publicized thus far, but that does not deem it the end all be all of our country. It's only going to be worse if we force hatred upon the future political head of our country.

It’s time for us to start acting like God is in control. It's time for us to start acting like God's people and supporting one another. It's time for us to fear not and trust in the Lord. This does not call us to be apathetic and uninvolved. Just as we are involved in our Christian community, we are called to be involved in politics while remembering the hurtfulness and severity of our thoughts and actions.

If none of this made sense to you or you truly disagree or think I'm too young to know what I'm talking about....I understand. I'm young and stupid, but I'm trying to be optimistic. Try running this country and let me know how seamless that is for you.

Spread love.