El Problema With the 2016 Election

El Problema With the 2016 Election

Hispanic Heritage Month just passed, but our lives are being overshadowed.

9
El Problema With the 2016 Election
Gabriela Farabee

“So, you’re Mexican, right?” Why, I’m surely Mexican. I hopped the border with Juan and Julia just the other day. In fact, I’m going home later to eat tacos paid for with food stamps, followed by three beers and a margarita. After that, I plan on sitting around in my government-funded housing, playing dominos and talking about how much I hate gringos. In the morning, I’ll get up and go to work at the orange groves in my low rider. Hopefully, I don’t get shot or raped on the way by a rival gang. Life’s rough when you’re Mexicana.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was put in place to bring an end to institutionalized racism in America. Unfortunately, I do not believe anyone bothered to inform America about this. Hispanics have been persecuted and feared since far before the 21st Century. There is an extreme lack of awareness and tolerance of Latinos, especially in rural areas. Racial stereotypes have been fueled and perpetuated by the media. Even the institutions striving to be equal lose sight of what the word truly means. In my own life, I have been the witness to much ignorance and hate towards my own ethnicity, simply because of what a certain demographic of America has been raised to believe. Racism did not die with the Civil Rights Movement. It is alive and well, often making me wonder what really goes on in the minds of those who believe awful things about minorities.

When I reached school-age, the question of my race became much more interesting and prevalent in conversation. Many people refused to believe I was Hispanic because I was “white.” Furthermore, the fact that Puerto Rican was not the same as Mexican appeared to go right over the heads of those who believed otherwise. They insisted, “If you’re Hispanic, you’re Mexican, and if you’re Mexican, you have to be tan.” The truth of the matter is that, like the French, the British, and many other nationalities, their constituents do not generally fit the same mold. The average short, stocky, tan, and black-haired Mexican does not cover all of the Hispanic bodily appearances in the world. For example, in Equatorial Guinea, the people are dark-skinned and African, but they are a Spanish-speaking people as well as considered Hispanic. Many traditionally “white” people are born in Spain and other Latino nations, with blue eyes and light hair. There is no specific “mold” for Hispanic peoples to fit into. In fact, there are 21 Spanish-speaking countries, all fundamentally diverse persons and who are unique in appearance. While I have grown to be more tan with age, as the United States being considered a “melting pot,” it is unnerving that its citizens would suggest uniformity among a diverse group of people.

“Go back to where you came from! We don’t want your kind around here.” Disgustingly enough, I have heard that phrase spoken about both my mother and myself by certain individuals in my hometown and otherwise. They seem to either ignore the fact that Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, or that it is completely possible to otherwise legally become a citizen of the United States after emigrating from another country. The fact United States is a great place for starting a new life or gaining opportunities not found in poorer or less developed places. If a person is willing to do whatever it takes and work hard to improve their own lives, why not encourage the idea of self-betterment? Furthermore, it is ironic that American citizens would be opposed to immigration when they are all the products of it. Unless they are of purely Native American tribal descent, their ancestors had to come from a place like England, Germany, the Netherlands, France, or any other country. Those who are strongly against immigration fail to understand that they would not be here had immigration not always been a viable option.

The stereotype that all Hispanics are lazy criminals that live off of welfare and other government assistance is particularly damaging in that it creates a dangerous mindset in Americans. Just like every other ethnicity, there are always going to be certain people who participate in less than desirable activities, but that does not mean the entire group should be condemned as well. I hear almost on a daily basis about rapes and murders carried out by Caucasian men and women; meanwhile, I have never heard anyone say, “Oh, stay away from those white people – they’re trouble.” Somehow, the crimes committed by a small group of Latinos are more influential factors of judgment simply because of their race. An interesting paradox of racial stereotypes meets in the employment of Hispanics. Americans are frustrated because Hispanics “take their jobs” and are willing to work in worse conditions, for longer hours, and less pay. Yet, some people claim that Hispanics are all lazy and would rather just gather welfare. I, for one, have trouble understanding how anyone can be both of those things at once. Moreover, I have had personal relationships with a large majority of hard-working Hispanics that are appreciative of what coming to America has done for them.

Finally, the perception that Latinos are unintelligent or should be obligated to speak English is incredibly off base. First of all, intelligence is an objective measure. Going to school or getting a degree does not necessarily make someone intellectually superior. Some people are self-educated because they could not afford or find the time to finish their education. That is the case with many poverty-stricken Hispanics. They have not able to have the opportunity to receive a higher level of education, but that does not mean they cannot contribute to conversation or society. Moreover, the United States does not have a legally defined national language. English is predominantly spoken; however, many different dialects and languages can be heard in different parts of the country. In fact, many countries, such as in Europe, encourage multilingualism within children and adults. The United States has let racism infiltrate its public school system, leading to decreased appreciation of language studies nationwide. The idea that English should only be spoken in the United States is ludicrous. Before colonization, the Native Americans had the true natural languages of the country. Even so, they had hundreds of dialects and languages according to tribal allegiances. If people truly insist on speaking in “American,” they should learn Navajo, Cheyenne, Algonquin, etc.

In the end, it is ridiculous to assume that by ignoring the fact that racism is still prevalent today, it will just go away. Truthfully, it is damaging on both ends of the spectrum. It perpetuates ignorance and decreases awareness of different cultures and traditions. By saying that the color of someone’s skin or their general appearance affects whether or not they are actually Hispanic or not, it is insulting a large group of individuals that do not necessarily fit the “traditional” mold of how a racist society thinks they should look. Furthermore, by claiming that Hispanics have no right to reside in the United States, individuals overlook the fact that their own presence in the U.S. is solely because of immigration – just a longer time ago. Additionally, the stereotype that Hispanics are uneducated simply because they do not all further their education is incredibly judgmental. Education is not entirely equivalent to intelligence. Finally, even though it would be helpful for all Hispanics in America to speak English, it is not a necessity. English is not the national language of the United States, and other languages have always been a part of American tradition. If any progress is to be had in the fight against racism, specifically towards Hispanics, cultural education and tolerance should be accepted and taught in the public school system, as well as embraced by the national government. Until everyone agrees we are all fundamentally the same, there will be no justice or equality for all minorities – not just Latinos.