EDM Should Be More Widely Accepted

EDM Should Be More Widely Accepted

Isn’t it time that we find out what it truly has to offer?

153
EDM Should Be More Widely Accepted
Continuum Music Studio

EDM or Electronic Dance Music seems to have a reputation that most people see as bad. It is often viewed as “weird techno music with no words”. It is so much more than that. It brings so many cultures around the world together and it is because EDM is one piece of art that everyone can appreciate. I love EDM and the diverse culture that it brings to the music world and there should be more of an appreciation and respect for what this type of music does for music as a whole.

Recently, there has been a huge influx in EDM in mainstream music. Every time The Chainsmokers put out a new song it is a number one hit in a few days or even a few hours. This EDM duo has broken into the mainstream because they have a calm, chill vibe to most of their songs. The problem with EDM bashing is that most people do not even realize that they listen to EDM on the radio and on commercials on a daily basis. EDM has taken over the pop world, with more and more artists collaborating with EDM djs, duos, and groups. Justin Bieber for example, jumped on the EDM train with Sonny Moore, more commonly known as Skrillex. The two produced hit after hit and topped the charts week after week. Most people heard these songs on the radio and did not even realize that this was not pop music anymore.

However, EDM had become a new part of mainstream media well before Justin Bieber and Skrillex. The song “Turn Down For What” came out by DJ Snake and Lil Jon in 2014 and was an instant sensation. Everyone knew what song that was and most people enjoyed it. #SELFIE also came out in 2014 and, at the moment, has 467 million views on YouTube. Admittedly, this was more of a party song than the recent releases of The Chainsmokers, but it still captured the attention of people worldwide.

EDM has played a huge role in remixing and remaking popular songs and there is new music being produced everyday. EDM is more than “dubstep” and there is so much out there for people to discover and learn about. “Dubstep” is simply a subgenre and there are around 300 subgenres of EDM. Anyone can find something they enjoy in the EDM world and most people do, even now, without realizing it.

When someone hears a song they like, the genre does not matter. It is music and it can speak to anyone at any time. The culture may be different than anything else and the concerts are unlike anything else you can experience. This does not mean that it is a bad genre or that it should be bashed. Simply because someone knows nothing about a culture, does not give them the right to bash something that means a great deal to someone else. EDM has changed music forever and will continue to as long as people have an interest in it. The interest is growing every single day, with more and more people learning what EDM has to offer. The fact that there are hundreds of genres and thousands of artists shows me that the world is ready for a new direction in music. Instead of resisting this change in music, it is time to embrace this music. EDM needs to be allowed to grow into the powerhouse that it is striving to be and it is on the brink of becoming the most popular genre of music in the world. Isn’t it time that we find out what it truly has to offer?