Eating Disorders Are A Serious Issue

People Need To Stop Downplaying Eating Disorders

Eating disorders impact the lives of millions everyday and there is not enough awareness.

226

Mental health has been relevant for quite some time now. From depression to anxiety it seems more and more people advocate for mental health awareness every day. However, as amazing as that is I feel as if there is one mental health disorder that tends to be overlooked. Eating Disorders.

Eating Disorders can affect anyone at any age, no matter how put together their life may seem. Many people have a false preconception of what an eating disorder is and what it entails. An eating disorder can be hidden very well by some people, which is why it is not talked about enough. But why is it so much more common for someone to talk about their depression or anxiety than it is to admit you have an eating disorder? It's because in comments have been made in the past that people struggling with eating disorders are just "trying to get attention," or are, "taking the easy way out." Those struggling find it easier to suffer in silence than seek help. The scary part about eating disorders is that a majority of the time it is unnoticeable. Someone could go their entire life having an eating disorder and no one would ever know.

No one who has an eating disorder chooses to take that path, sometimes they may not realize they are developing one until its too late. They can start out by downloading a calorie tracking app or skipping one meal a day. These little things seem so innocent until one day they're controlling every aspect of your life. You can't do even the simplest of tasks without worrying about what you ate today, how you can burn it off, and how to avoid your friends and family from finding out. It is not only physically exhausting but emotionally.

If people advocating awareness for eating disorders became as popular as it is for depression or anxiety so many peoples lives would be impacted. Putting up posters, having people discuss their own journeys, or just making counselors more available to people struggling are just a few ways people with eating disorders may feel more comfortable talking about their struggle. It is the little things that make a big difference. Just by telling one person can change their life and get them on the path to recovery. Having someone help you through the recovery process is so vital because there will be bad days and sometimes all you need is for someone to be by your side.