3 Easy Steps Towards Being Less Wasteful

3 Easy Steps You Can Take Today Towards Being Less Wasteful And More Environmentally Friendly

As someone who is currently working towards a more low-waste lifestyle, I can help those who care to lower their negative environmental impact.

1971

In our busy day-to-day lives, we are consistently and unconsciously wasteful. Trying to be environmentally friendly and low-waste can be stressful and difficult to navigate.

As a society, we don't normally think twice about the things we throw away or buy, because it's what we have done our whole lives.

Household items such as Saran Wrap and plastic bags have been the glue holding our childhood school lunches together and the convenience we crave in a hurry.

Even well-known companies such as Starbucks contribute to the billions of plastic and waste that floats around in the oceans and contaminates the streets.

Don't get me wrong, I love Starbucks as well as many other companies and organizations that use convenient containment methods of their products.

Regardless of my urge to grab a plastic water bottle and use paper towels to clean up the messes I clumsily make, I have been and will continue to limit my use due to the impact wastefulness has on not only our environment but our lives as humans.

Ever since the early days of humanity, the human species has used all sorts of creative ways to store, carry, and make things we find useful.

We started using the world around us, appreciating the gifts Earth gave us to create tools and other knick-knacks. Today, most of humanity uses disposable items on a daily basis.

Many people want to limit their consumption of wasteful items and necessities but aren't aware of the methods they can use.

1. Household Items

Some of the most common wasteful household items include paper towels, saran wrap or aluminum foil, and finally plastic straws, containers, and water bottles.

Some easy solutions for these items are a reusable straw, beeswax wrap, or glass Tupperware, using washable cloth/kitchen towels, and buying a reusable water bottle to suit your needs.

Most of these items can be found at places such as Target, Crate and Barrel, or any green eco-friendly stores.

2. Reusable Mugs

If you are a frequent coffee drinker, buying a reusable coffee mug/cup is a smart way to further the low-waste movement. Most places will be glad to fill up your drink in the reusable cup you give them. Even Starbucks sells great reusable cups for their frequent customers.

Sadly, plastic straws, cups, bottles, and containers are still being mass-produced causing billions of waste to coalesce all across the world.

Plastic is not the only wasteful product we overproduce, making this issue even messier.

However, with each step you take towards a low-waste lifestyle, the world becomes a step closer to appreciating what we have and limiting our wasteful ways.

3. Share Information

Not only do your actions make a large impact but your voice does as well.

Sharing information about low-waste items and lifestyle choices with a friend, family member, roommate, or even on a social media platform can make an enormous difference in the lives around you.