10 Short And Sweet Self-Care Tips That Go A LONG Way

Remember how important it is to take care of you, even with these little things.

205
Kayla Quinn

Now that I'm a few weeks into my semester, I've got my weekly routine down pretty well: when I have class, when I have work, my rehearsal schedule and where to fit in homework in between. One thing I'm still figuring out: when to take care of me. I'm learning that although a tightly knit schedule doesn't leave hours upon hours to take care of me, there are some really simple ways to keep your brain clear and happy for everything else.

Here are 10 quick ways to step away from everyday stress and check up on your mental health too.

1. Put down your work for five minutes.

Honestly, five minutes is really all you need to step away, clear your head, remember to breathe and go back to your work with more headspace.

2. Eat a healthy snack.

This is so, SO important. I've learned the hard way, especially with being away from home and having to be self-dependant. Just one healthy snack can make you instantly feel a thousand times better.

3. Watch an episode of your favorite T.V. show.

My personal go-to is Season 5 Episode 14 of "The Office." Just don't get caught watching the next one, and the next one, and the next one...

4. Take a hot (or cold!) shower.

Another great way to clear your head and get super clean!

5. Read a book, not required of you 

Even as a creative writing major, I find myself forgetting to actually read for fun. It's hard to step away from required reading, but always have a good book on stand-by, even if you only get through a few pages every day.

6. Go to sleep.

I was raised always to get those six to eight hours every night, and honestly, that's something I still treasure in college. Sleep fixes just about everything.

7. Phone a friend (or, you know, your mom)

Again, all it takes is five minutes for a hug, some good rant time and a clear head. Or, you know, take a lot longer. Most likely the friend you're talking to will need you as much as you need them.

8. Open up a coloring book. 

There are adult coloring books out there for a reason. Not only is coloring super relaxing, but you'll get a pretty picture by the end.

9. Have a caffeine-free drink .

My roommate and I have a go-to hot chocolate or hot tea night if we're overwhelmed and it works like magic.

10. Breathe 

For something so simple and necessary, you wouldn't think you'd have to take five minutes to breathe. But honestly, sometimes work gets so much in the way that you really need to step back and just breathe.

Stress, especially with school, can be overwhelming a lot of the time. It'll be okay. Just breathe. You're killing it in your life right now; take a step back and remember to take care of you too.