Eastern Oklahoma's Greatest Adventures

Eastern Oklahoma's Greatest Adventures

The secret gems we forgot about.

66
Eastern Oklahoma's Greatest Adventures
Library Road Trip

People think that Oklahoma is one giant wasteland of tumbleweeds, teepees and cowboy boots. But in reality, it's one of America’s hidden treasures. Sure we’re a landlocked state with a history of droughts, tornadoes and horrid funding for education. But at least we have some beautiful sights. So if you’re like me and love the outdoors and have a craving for adventures here’s some amazing places to go in Eastern Oklahoma!

1. Robbers Cave State Park

This beautiful view and other views just like it can be seen throughout all of the trails within the park. This state park is hidden away in the mountains of Southeast Oklahoma. The park is 8,246-acres and has 189 combined acres of lakes.

2. Turkey Mountain

Turkey Mountains is about 10 minutes from Downtown Tulsa and has two different trails, the yellow trail and the pink trail, and has many other interconnecting trails between them. The yellow trail is about four miles long and the pink trail is six miles long. Both are super amazing and are perfect for burning off the triple dip cone from Braum's you just ate.

3. Blue Hole

It's super hot and you're dying in the 100 degree heat but you're tired of going to the YMCA to swim in the chlorinated public bathtub they call a pool, so where do you go? The Blue Hole of course! It's the most popular swimming hole in the state and is the perfect way to chill your bones after being stuck in this blazing heat. There's shallow water and deep water so it's great for all ages. Plus the wildlife surrounding the place will be a great way for you to actually some animals instead of the animated creatures of Pokemon Go.

4. Natural Falls State Park

This beautiful state park is just about an hour and 15 minutes east of Tulsa straight of Highway 412. It's right next to the Arkansas boarder in the beautiful Ozark Mountains. There is a 77-foot waterfall and a breathtaking valley. The hiking trail features an amazing overlook giving hikers a chance to see the falls and valley from above safely.

5. Beavers Bend & Hochatown State Park

Located in Broken Bow within the magnificent Mountains of Southeast Oklahoma, this state park is full of sights that will give you chills. This park is on the shores of Broken Bow Lake and cuts through the Mountain Fork River. There's tons of hiking, swimming areas, camping sites, great places to eat and it's probably the most popular park in the state.

6. Talimena State Park

This park is a part of one of America's most beautiful National Scenic Drives! There's hiking and backpacking trails that will lead you into the Ouachita National Forest and biking trails. And if you're in love with watching the leaves change during the fall you can just drive over to the eastern boarder of our state instead of taking the treacherous trip to the Rockies or the Smokies.

7. McGee Creek Natural Scenic Recreation Area

This area of Oklahoma is in Atoka and has over 25 miles of hiking. This completely quiet zone has strict no motorized vehicles policy. They do require you to register for a permit at the Area's office but it's totally worth it because the views and serenity can't be found anywhere else (oh, and the permit is free).

These amazing sites are only a few of everything our state has to offer. Make sure to figure out how far you want to go and what you want to see before you head out for your adventure. Don't forget to check out Travel Ok, too!