Easter Is More Than Just Candy And Colorful Eggs, It's Jesus

Easter Is More Than Just Candy And Colorful Eggs

It's about the resurrection of Jesus

71
https://unsplash.com/photos/SLjEpZbsqDE

Easter is one of my favorite holidays for many reasons. This year it's on April 21st, and I can't wait to celebrate it with my friends and family. Easter is filled with dyeing Easter eggs, hiding Easter baskets, and getting a visit from the Easter Bunny. I love doing all of those things, but there is so much more to Easter than just colorful eggs and candy. The real reason for Easter is to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.

It all starts off with Palm Sunday which is the Sunday before Easter. On Palm Sunday, we celebrate Jesus making a triumphal entry into Jerusalem on a donkey. A large crowd greeted Jesus as he came, and they laid palm trees across the road.

During the next few days, Jesus was betrayed by Judas who told the Roman soldiers where Jesus was as Jesus predicted. After interrogations, Jesus was brought to Pontius Pilate, who was the Roman governor during that time. At first, Pilate stated that Jesus was innocent, and couldn't find anything to punish him for. Jesus was whipped and beaten, but the crowd wanted to crucify him. Pilate, fearing a riot, decided to have Jesus crucified.

On Good Friday, Jesus carried his cross to Calvary where he was then crucified along with two criminals. After He died, there was an earthquake, tombs broke open, and the curtain that was in the Temple was torn from top to bottom. Jesus' body was then wrapped in clean linen by Joseph of Arimathea, and placed him in his new tomb. They put a large rock over the entrance after they were done.

Three days later, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to the tomb where they found it empty. An angel of the Lord was sitting on the stone that was now rolled away. The angel told the two ladies to not be afraid because Jesus had risen. The two Marys then went to go tell the disciples what had just happened. Jesus then came to them and showed them his hands and feet that now had holes in them. He fulfilled what was written in the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms. The Messiah paid for our sins by dying on the cross.

He spent the day with them before leaving and was then taken up to heaven.

So, while we are celebrating Easter by dying eggs, eating food and candy, hiding baskets, and spending time with family and friends, we shouldn't forget the real reason why we celebrate it. And that is the resurrection of Jesus.