The Rise of East African Women

The Rise of East African Women

From no right to vote, to the president of a country

4156
Three women standing in a field with a mountain in the background
Alice Bensi Photography
“It’s time for you to move, realizing that the thing you are seeking is also seeking you.” — Iyanla Vanzant

This single quote defines the privilege and honor I have had in the last 16 years to witness the evolution of the woman of East Africa Tanzania.

When I moved to Tanzania/ Zanzibar all those years ago, the thought of a Tanzanian woman being able to obtain a driver's license was unheard of, and now 16 years later the magnificent woman of Tanzania not only have driver's licenses but some are professional Pilots, and some are Safari Guides, that drive guests around some of the most wild and gorgeous landscapes showing off their stunning country and heritage.

I was born and raised in South Africa, and have always considered myself an African woman, however, I was also very privileged to grow up in a culture that never said I could not be or do anything I wanted.

So to move to a place that was so vastly polar opposite to this belief took some adjusting of my perspectives, and despite wanting to be curiously respectful about a culture so vastly different to my own I could never quite agree with the limitations placed on the woman in Tanzania.

However, being able to witness some of the changes and rise of these phenomenal Tanzanian women move towards what was always seeking them has been one of my greatest inspirations, and always serves as a reminder that I can truly do anything.

This post will highlight a few of my personal favorite stories of the evolution of Tanzanian women.

Madame President

Woman standing at a podium with two flags on either side of her

TanzaniaInvest

There comes a time in every woman’s life when she rejects the character society expects her to be, whether that be the straight-laced Good Girl, the Not Like the Other girl, or any other patriarchy-approved role. Women are judged for being too flirty, too serious, too driven, and too maternal- why shouldn’t we just give it all up and be what we want! "Jana Harris"

I believe this is exactly what Samia Suluhu Hassan ( Madame President) did, she broke through the cultural barriers, went against the norm, and did what no Tanzanian woman has ever done before.

Samia is the first female president of the country. She was sworn in on 19 March 2021, succeeding John Magufuli after his death. She had previously served as Tanzania's Vice President from 2015 until 2021.

Considered a reformer since taking the presidency Samia has pushed for development and reforms in Tanzania.

She has promoted policies aimed at achieving social, economic, and political justice for all Tanzanians, however, I belive her greatest accomplishment since becoming president is how she has shown and inspired all the women young and old of East Africa to continue to belive in themselves, that anything is possible, no matter what the world says.

One of my favorite images captured of this phenomenal woman is below, just after she was sworn in as madam president you can see her bodyguards on either side of her who are also the only women.

It's an image that to me represents history in the making and how phenomenal power and beauty can co exist.

3 woman standing at a podium with flowers

GLPOST

It is one of my greatest hopes that come 2025, she will actually run to be voted as the president and continue to break the barriers and make a difference as she already has and does in small and big ways.

Girls rule the world!!! Dunia Lodge

18 woman standing together in a semi circle in safari clothes outdoors

AsiliaAfrica

They stand tall and proud, ruling in the wild,

They are the embodiment of strength a beaming light of ambition and resilience in a world built by and for men they have taken their rightful place leading with grace and power.

Undeterred and unapologetic they own the world!!

Bold and unwavering leaders, graciousness knows no bounds a force of nature a source of hope and motivation their roar can be heard from land to sea.

Let the world rejoice in their reign!!

Dunia meaning "World" in Swahili, is the only camp in Africa run entirely by women and the team is an inspirational example of what women can achieve in a male-dominated industry.

Dunia Lodge by Asilia Africa is located in the magnificent Serengeti National Park, one of my favorite treasures of this place I call home, its gorgeous eight spacious tents overlook the Serengeti National Park’s vast golden plains.

The hospitality is one of a kind, and every detail encompasses a soft and beautiful touch just like the woman of Tanzania.

View Slideshow

From management to chiefs, to security guards, to the safari guides and drivers, the entire lodge is run by and managed by amazing Tanzanian women.

One of the most life-changing places I have had the privilege of experiencing in my 16 years here.

Not only because it's the one and only lodge in Africa run completely by women but more importantly, being surrounded by only female energy in a setting like the Serengeti, which is mother nature at her finest has to be one of the most life-changing experiences I have ever had.

Best booking resources AsiliaAfrica

Women Leading Change - Dunia Camp, Serengeti

This film features Dunia Camp, the only all-female safari lodge in Africa. The camp is located in the heart of Tanzania's Serengeti National Park and features.

Loving Change and Enthusiasm Sasik Zanzibar

Street in Stone town Zanzibar with shop and people

Alice Bensi photography

Entering the Sasik shop, in the heart of Stone Town, Zanzibar feels like stepping into memories or dreams of a serene childhood.

The beautiful embroidered creations of this collective of women, vibrant and soft at the same time, are as attractive as delicacies on a magical candy shop’s shelves. The feminine, harmonious, loving energy in the air is as comforting as a mother’s embrace.

View Slideshow

Ayda Abdalla 

Woman sitting and drawing patterns for cusions

Alice Bensi Photography

Sasik meaning "Loving change and enthusiasm" was born from a tradition spread through three generations of women, of mothers.

Ayda Abdalla, co-founder, manager of the shop, and creative mind behind this amazing collection of crafts is now a Zanzibar women-only company.

Ayda's mother was a dressmaker and embroiderer. And her mother before her. And her grandmother before her. But the idea of using the skills of the women of the family to create cushion covers with patterns inspired by the famous Zanzibar doors came from the owner of the first hotel in Stone Town, the Emerson.

It was 1993 and the tourism industry was just starting to turn an eye on the Island. When they got commissioned the first cushion cover, both Ayda and her mother took on this project and it took 3 months to complete the job, creating the first Sasik-style cover.

Now they have about 200 pieces in stock and 45 women are supporting their families through being a part of the Sasik family.

Sasik’s pieces are like a fragment of Zanzibar’s heart, coming from the heart of an African mother. Every time I leave the Sasik shop and wave goodbye to the ladies, smiling at me from behind their fine handwork, I feel somehow more of a woman, more of a human, with a loving disposition towards the world.

How far we have come. How far we still need to go

Artwork of woman face of flowers on a pink backround

IPLeaders

Once upon a time, woman's empowerment was but a distant dream.

The women of Tanzania were seen as second-class citizens, denied basic rights and freedoms, all in the name of tradition, culture, and religion.

Woman's empowerment has come a very long way since the days when the thought of a woman being the president of Tanzania was thought not only impossible but completely crazy!!!

But, even with all the progress that has been made, there is still a very long way to go in Tanzania and for millions of women around the world.

However together, we can keep pushing for progress. Through education, advocacy, and intent, woman's empowerment can grow and thrive.

To all the girls I say "Let's stay crazy" and with it, a brighter, and more beautiful future lies ahead.

Nike - Dream Crazier | #JustDoIt

Nike's Dream Crazier shines a spotlight on female athletes who have broken barriers, brought people together through their performance and inspired girls around the world.