Oscar Excitement Still Rising As February Approaches

With a little over a month until the Oscars, my excitement for the Jimmy Kimmel hosted show is continuing to grow.

8
Emy Suzira

Honestly, I've been waiting to write an article like this since August. Ever since becoming a huge film fan only two years ago, the Academy Awards ceremony has been one of my favorite times of the year. The best part about it is, you are reminded about how fantastic each movie was, and how they'll be rewarded for their greatness. Especially in the Best Picture category.

Last year's host, Chris Rock

Last year's big winners included, "Mad Max: Fury Road" with seven Oscars, and "Spotlight" with a Best Picture win. 2015 was definitely a year of cinema where society's problems were on display with many of the top notch films. Between "Spotlight," the abduction drama "Room," and the mortgage crisis comedy "The Big Short," film fans saw an array of movies that both touched audiences, and informed them.

For 2016, we see a much different, but refreshing year in cinema. With the Oscar nominations coming out this next Tuesday, I anticipate some spectacular moments to occur come the actual ceremony in February. What's so nice about this year is, the fact that we have so many different genres and directors that really raise the bar high.

After watching the Golden Globes, fans kind of get the idea of who will be the winners however, nothing is totally a shoe in. We have a nice mixture of actors/actresses, as well as directors for the Jimmy Kimmel hosted show. There are a ton of young directors entering the scene like Damien Chazelle and Barry Jenkins, but we also have some of the veterans like Mel Gibson and Martin Scorsese as well.

Although I want to hold my thoughts on whose going to win for a later date, I will say that I don't think that the Best Picture winner is clear cut. A lot of people are saying "La La Land," but no one should be counting out "Moonlight." Even after seeing it two months ago, I still believe that it is the most important film of our generation.

We can't forget about the man himself, Casey Affleck. His film, "Manchester by the Sea" was an emotional roller coaster that tugged on your heart strings throughout the entire two hour and fifteen minute running time. Director Kenneth Lonergan was able to create something that is unbelievably realistic. It rarely felt like a movie.

My favorite directorial performance however had to be Chazelle for "La La Land." I've been fascinated with his work ever since his first breakout movie, "Whiplash." At thirty one years old, he has a technical ability that not many filmmakers have at that young age. This will surely win big for some awards. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone had better chemistry than anyone else this year in film.

I think that it is safe to say that this is the year of revivals. We saw another Star Wars movie, a musical come back to life on the big screen, and another coming of age movie in "The Edge of Seventeen." With all of this in mind, Tuesday's nomination announcements couldn't come any sooner.