These Eagle Underdogs Are Hungry, So Football Fans, Watch Out

With a little playoff magic, the Eagles are on their way to face the top-seeded Saints. As an 8 point underdog, the city of Philadelphia embraces this role.

71

The underdog role for this team is all to familiar. Rewind back to last season (2017-2018) when starting Quarterback Carson Wentz was having what would be an MVP year before getting injured against the Rams in Week 14. Call on backup Quarterback Nick Foles to assume the starting job for the playoffs.

The high seeded Eagles quickly became underdogs. Even though Wentz wasn't at the helm, the rest of the squad stepped up their efforts in the playoffs and were able to defeat the Patriots to win the Superbowl. Nick Foles played such a spectacular game that he was named Superbowl MVP. Fast forward to the 2018-2019 season, the Superbowl hangover was all to real for the Birds.

The Philadelphia Eagles started off the season very sluggish, starting off their season with a record of 4-4 before dropping 2 important games to bring them down to 4-6. When Philadelphia traveled to New Orleans in Week 11 it seemed as if their season was on the line with a 4-5 record. Philadelphia needed to get a win to have a shot at the playoffs. Watching the game, it looked like the Eagles didn't even show up as they got blown out 48-7.

They had numerous chances to control their own destiny when playoff hopes were on the line and came up short. The birds managed to sneak into the playoffs grabbing the 6th seed needing help in Week 17 of the regular season. Heading into Sunday's game against the 3rd-seeded Bears The Eagles were a 6.5 point underdog, however, most fans that I talked to were not worried about facing the toughest defense in the league on the road.

Even with Foles throwing 2 interceptions early on The Eagles were able to march down and cap off a 12-play 60-yard drive with a 2-yard touchdown pass from Foles to Golden Tate putting them up 16-15. Still with time left the Eagles gave up some big plays on defense but never gave up as Treyvon Hester was able to tip the would be game winning field goal from Bear's Kicker Cody Parkey, causing it to hit the left upright.

The Eagles were able to pull off some playoff magic with their backup QB and a few backup defenders on the other side of the ball. Will the magic continue when they head down to New Orleans and face future Hall-of-Famer Drew Brees and the rest of that high-powered Saints offense? One would have to think that Philadelphia is going to play with some fire, not only because their season is on the line, but because of how convincingly the Saints won back in Week 11.

No surprise, Philly is at an 8-point underdog currently, but most Eagles fans embrace this position. I bet that the Saints aren't too crazy about hosting the birds, because it feels all too familiar to last years playoff run. If the Eagles are able to pull out a win and advance to the NFC championship or perhaps even the another Superbowl appearance this raises and interesting dilemma.

With the salary cap, it is hard to imagine that the Eagles will be able to afford paying Nick Foles properly while having him as a backup Quarterback. It seems that Nick Foles will not stay in Philadelphia after this season and test his hand in free agency. Even though Foles is 29 years old, he doesn't have as much wear and tear on him as most players would at his position. What is crazy to think about is that division-rival New York Giants could show interest in Foles as a Quarterback for the interim period while trying to find a franchise player at QB through the draft.