Dumb Stuff Smart People Do

Dumb Stuff Smart People Do

Are you your own problem?

18
Dumb Stuff Smart People Do
saboteur365

You might think you're pretty smart but, you're definitely not perfect. We all like to think we have a good head on our shoulders but, there are some mistakes that smart people are more at risk for making,

Decision Dwelling

Carefully weighing the pros and cons of a situation is a useful strategy to make a smart decision. However, the longer a list gets, the harder it is to make up your mind. You can spend to much time going back and forth between to options that it leads you to miss the opportunity. Sometimes trusting your yourself, your gut and going for it can lead you to accomplishments that were beyond your initial expectations.

Over Complicating the Simple

Smart people can fall into the trap of making a problem harder to solve that it actually is. A long, intricate solution isn't always the best one. Being able to provide a straightforward, to-the-point answer is skill smart people overlook. Complexity doesn't equal intelligence.

Can't Communicate

What makes sense to you might not make sense to anyone else. On a team, in an organization or any group of people, communication is often the make or break factor in an important situation. A smart person might have a brilliant idea but, if they can't put their idea into words, then its useless. Communication is a vital skill that need to be developed if you want to be successful.

Misjudging the Less Intelligent

Just because someone isn't highly educated does not meant they are stupid. Some people who don't have the highest marks on paper have a great wealth of common sense. Don't forget that experience is a valuable asset. While you can learn from your own mistakes, you can learn from others' too. Einstein reminds us, “the only source of knowledge is experience.”

Denial/fear of being wrong

Ever heard someone say “I really love being around/ working with that know it all,”? Probably not. Sure, we all get satisfaction from being right but, being this way is a major turn off to many people. It shows that you are refusing to listen because you are too hung up on being right or winning an argument. Solving a problem or building a new idea is a process of working together; it’s not a competition.

Trying to do it all yourself

You have a team for a reason; to use them. Smart people have a propensity to love being in control. This can create a huge headache for multiple reasons. For one, trying to do everything on your own is a great way to stress yourself out. When you’re stressed out you are at risk to burning out, becoming negative and saying things you regret. Secondly, if you try to take credit for absolutely everything, it sends a a distrusting message to your team. If they always think you are going to do all the work then they will be less likely help you when you really need it.

Severe Perfectionism

Sometimes, intelligent people are prone to having a perfectionist streak. While never settling for anything less than the best can be a positive thing, it can also make you inflexible and unable to adapt. This attitude can break down self-confidence. Stuff happens, things don’t always go as planned and that’s OK.

Thinking you’ll get what you want just because you are smart

Wrong. Actions speak louder than words, a GPA, or a degree. Indeed, all of these things are very important and shouldn’t be dismissed. However, people want to see that you can work hard and have values. “You've got a lot of very, very smart people standing by waiting for somebody else to do the work. Not a recipe for long-term solvency in my opinion.”- Mike Rowe