Drunksitters—The Real Heroes

Drunksitters—The Real Heroes

50
Drunksitters—The Real Heroes
Alexis Provancal

I'm sure that being 21 years old, technically qualifying as adult status, and needing a sitter sounds silly in some way or another. However, I'm not referring to your typical $8 an hour babysitter--I'm talking about a drunken sitter. Someone who should probably get paid but doesn't. Someone who I usually need every Saturday night to make sure that I've gotten home safely and avoided destruction of myself and the property that I pass on my walk home. Sometimes I even need someone to pull me out of the snow when I decide diving face first into a pile would be a good idea. And sometimes, I even need someone to drag me by my arm along the icy road because I claim that my bones are too fragile to walk. This type of person usually has the patience of an angel to handle my drunken ramblings, but has the sense of humor to record every second of it. This person usually doesn't get mad at the things that I say or the actions that I make--even if that includes trying to walk down the snow covered street in just my socks. This person always has my best interest at heart, even when they're just as intoxicated as I am.

Before going out, I always set a list of goals for myself that I try to the best of my abilities to follow. Such goals would include: don't throw up on the bar, don't leave your friends, don't go to jail, stop telling everyone your secrets, don't pee your pants, and don't get into cars with strangers. You know, the everyday list of goals that everyone should have; especially if they're like me. Each night I get reminded not to leave my friends and to stop calling my mom at four in the morning. However, as my hazy memory serves, leaving my friends and drunk calling my mom is typically my cup of tea, or my shot of vodka, perhaps.

A typical Saturday night, because being the fine young adult that I am, time and priorities only leave me one day to enjoy having some fun, and that day would be Saturday. A typical Saturday evening would include getting ready and pre-gaming with my best friends before a night out. Whether it's a house party or to the bars, the walk there is always a blast and that's usually where my sitter initially steps in. They link arms with me to make sure I follow the way to our destination.

As the night goes on, I'm more than likely making bad decisions. And thanks to the love and care of my drunken sitter, they get me out of a pickle before I'm too far gone. For instance, my favorite thing to do while I'm out and about is texting my exes and the people I've crushed on. Why? Who knows but I've become known for doing so. There have been so many times when my friends have taken my phone and changed my passcode before I've said anything too detrimental to damage my reputation. They're also the people holding my hair back when I need them to, and keeping the door guarded to make sure no one intrudes. They're the people wiping my tears when I've convinced myself my life is in shambles. And they're the people who help me order Jimmy Johns when I try to order it through Facebook. My drunken sitters are the ones who call me 18 times when I've disappeared and wandered alone, and they don't stop until they know I'm safe. These people go along with my insane plans and even call me by the fake names I've created when I'm not fully aware of what I'm saying. They pull my head out of the hot tub water when we're making people feel uncomfortable. And most importantly, they're keeping me safe. My drunken sitters, but more importantly, my best friends, have had my back for every time that we've gone out together. And, for that, I thank you. You're all the real MVPs.

Side note: I do not condone underage drinking and you should ALWAYS drink responsibly.