The Drum Majors Of The Oregon State University Marching Band

Leading "The Spirit and Sound of OSU"
26

The Oregon State University Marching Band, OSUMB, had their first performance, after just three days of band camp, where the 280 member band performed the entire pregame show and a shortened half-time show.

The job of the drum majors -- Ken, Sage, and Sarah -- is to conduct to keep the band in time. This includes in the stands, pep rallies, tailgating, and on the field during performances. It is not an easy job. There are screaming fans, footballs flying at you in every direction, and 280 people all looking at you for guidance. You have to know what songs to play and when, and the drum Majors have been working very hard at it.

On top of their important role on game days and rehearsals, they do a lot of work behind the scenes. They take care of everyone in the band, they plan and organize for events and other needs that take place during the season, and they are the first ones there and the last ones to leave for rehearsals and game days. They put others before themselves, and they are strong leaders for the OSUMB.

"They really embody the whole idea of servant leadership, which is what I stress to all my student leaders. They are just really great people that truly love their peers and this band," says Dr. Dana Biggs, the Associate Director of Bands and the Director of Athletic Bands at Oregon State University.

Ken, Sage, and Sarah are a lot to fun to be around. They make rehearsals and game days enjoyable, and put in a lot of time and effort to make the OSUMB the best it can be.

Meet the Drum Majors!

Ken Anderson

Name you go by: Ken Anderson III.

Hometown: Corvallis, OR.

Major/minor: Electrical and computer engineering.

Year: Four.

Why did you choose your major: It fit my interest and looked to be a promising field.

Year in the band: Four.

Instrument(s) played: Trombone.

What you are most looking forward to this season: I am looking forward to meeting new people and conducting in front of 40,000 people.

Personal goals for this season: I want to improve in conducting, meet every single person in band, and improve as a person.

Goals for the band as a whole: I hope to become a family, have high enthusiasm, and have excellent performances.

Personal hobbies: Knights of Columbus (a Catholic men's fraternal organization), hiking, camping, fishing, shooting, and other outdoors activities.

Fun fact: I love swords.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years: I hope to find a full-time job, settle in right after college, to stay put long term, pursue state offices within Knights of Columbus, be married, and have kids.

Mariah Sage Gustafson

Name you go by: Sage Gustafson.

Hometown: Albany, OR.

Major/Minor: Music Major, Pre-med option, Chemistry minor

Year: Four.

Why did you choose your major: Music has always been a huge part of my life. While I don't plan on going into music as a career, I cannot imagine ever being at a point in my life where I am not playing music.

Year in the band: Four.

Instrument(s) played: In OSUMB, the piccolo. For other ensembles, the flute, oboe, English horn, tenor sax, and piano.

What you are most looking forward to this season: Game day! I love the energy of performing on the field, and being surrounded by so many people that share a common enthusiasm for high quality performances, marching band, and football. It's impossible to have a bad time!

Personal goals for this season: Learn the name of every person in the marching band, and bring my best to every rehearsal!

Goals for the band as a whole: Always bring our game day attitude! Band is hard, it's not always comfortable, but it's way more fun if we can keep being the spirit and sound of OSU even during rehearsal.

Personal hobbies: Ballroom dance, skiing, any music thing I can get my hands on, and drawing.

Fun fact: I showed chickens all through high school, and I really like them. A lot. Especially on mugs. Actually, all farm animal mugs are pretty great.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Probably in medical school to be a surgeon, hopefully doing my residency abroad with a Doctors Without Borders program. Or if I'm not there, you can probably find me skiing and playing music somewhere!

Sarah Massey

Name you go by: Sarah Massey.

Hometown: Hillsboro, OR.

Major/Minor: Music education.

Year: Four.

Why did you choose your major: I grew up in a family of musicians and I have always loved being involved in anything and everything music related. I want to give that opportunity back to everyone.

Year in the band: Four.

Instrument(s) played: Mellophone/french horn.

What you are most looking forward to this season: Game day! I have always loved the atmosphere of game day and I am so pumped to experience it from a new perspective. This is going to be a great year!

Personal goals for this season: Find a way to become tall enough for the band to see me when conducting in the stands, sleep for more than five hours a night during band camp, and learn everyone's names! I'm already more than halfway there!

Goals for the band as a whole: Have fun! I want more than anything for the band members to enjoy their personal experiences in band and feel the love of Beaver Nation!

Personal hobbies: Soon to be hobby - getting swole with Brett. #SquadGoals

Fun fact: I have a twin sister who looks nothing like me! I love telling people about her because she’s pretty and I like her.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years: I want to be in a classroom! Preferably teaching middle school band and loving life. And continuing to get swole with Brett.

Thank you Ken, Sage, and Sarah! The OSUMB really appreciates all that you do!