10 Home Bound Habits

10 Home Bound Habits

Driving home after the semester has to be fun, right?

6
10 Home Bound Habits
Google Maps

We all have to drive home once college ends. It's a fact of life. Unfortunately, we can't hole ourselves up in our dorms once May 4th hits here in Troy, so we must pack our bags, load 'em up, and head on out -- after we turn in our dorm keys, of course. No matter how far your drive home is, there is a series of ten things we tend to do... well, that I know I do. Only 900 miles, thirteen hours, and ten CD's of music for me to shuffle through stand between home and I. Thinking about it now, that's a little terrifying.

1. Jamming out to the radio.

I had to explain to my best friend that I only listen to my select music library because it is really hard to jam out to the radio if you don't know the song. I'm very proud of my Jeep's stereo system, and I am not at all ashamed of how loud I play my music, with my windows down, as I cruise through Atlanta. If I have to suffer through the traffic of I-85, I'm going to have fun doing so. Plus, who doesn't enjoy being the star of their own music video, of which you have constructed in your own car?

2. Imagining conversations and talking to yourself.

This is not embarrassing because it happens. I know I personally love to imagine conversations happening between myself and others because everything can go exactly my way. I also have a tendency to make a to-do list out loud to myself while I drive. "Get gas, get coffee, get my life together." You never know what you need to until you get bored with your music and you're only half-way through your journey home.

3. If you're not talking to yourself, you're talking to the other drivers.

Sometimes, you can be nice. "I like that car," or "Thanks for letting me over" can be a few of the kind, lady-like things to say. However, it is my full belief that we all have a tiny bit of road rage in us. Let's face it, everyone else on the highway sucks at driving, and they certainly need to use their (insert explicative here) blinker while changing lanes.

4. Staring at the arrival time on the GPS.

Don't you just hate when your arrival time continues to become later and later because some important section of the interstate is shut down for construction? I know I do, and I watch my arrival time like a hawk. (Pro tip: there is this super cool app called Waze that takes in effect the time of a delay. It can also be set so that Morgan Freeman is telling you directions.) Spending four hours in the car is enough, but multiply that by a few and you will never want to drive again.

5. Watch as the gas prices differ and try to find the cheapest place to fill up.

One of my favorite things about driving south is how beautifully low gas prices are. Once you start heading north, you feel your checking account drain as the gas prices climb. Finding the lowest price for gas is hard, especially when the road signs only direct you towards the more expensive companies.

6. Let your hair fly away in the wind.

I'll be totally honest with you: the air conditioning system in my car stinks and only likes to make my engine overheat. Oh, the irony. My windows and sunroof are my best friends, especially in the southern heat of August. Not to mention how free you feel, and how much louder you can stand your music when the wind is blowing through your car. I'm going to need to learn some braids to help me stop my hair from becoming a tangled mess next time I open all of the windows, though.

7. Not texting and driving.

Being on your phone while you drive is illegal. Just, no. Don't do it. Texts and phone calls always wait to be made until I stop to get food and or fuel up. Your life, and the lives of the drivers around you are certainly more important than that text from your best friend about how your ex-beau is seeing that other girl. If you absolutely need to talk to someone while you drive, Bluetooth is a pretty brilliant invention, and I think you should invest in it.

8. Think about the quality food that is waiting for me at home.

Fast food doesn't cut it, and when you've been eating school food for four or five months, a home cooked meal is just what you need. Until then, a big bottle of water and pretzel nuggets are the way to go for a snack. Need something a little more satisfying? Two bags of pretzel nuggets are where it's at. Trust me on this one.

9. Imagine how nice it will be to stand up, and lay in a bed.

After you sit in a car for so long, your butt will be numb. Just like my advice on pretzel nuggets, this is tried and true. The only way the agony of a car seat after eight hours can be broken is by getting out of the car for a few minutes while pumping gas, finding a pillow, and sitting on that. The idea of a bed after driving a long time is also extremely swoon-worthy. Driving and staying sane are both hard, but together they are exhausting.

10. Arrive safe and sound.

This one is my personal favorite because that means I am at home, I survived the dreaded trek home, and I am finally done!

While it isn't quite time to fill the gas tank up and mosey on out of town, remember that being safe on the road is super important. There are others around you who are also navigating tens of thousands of pounds of hot metal. Safe travels!