Why Every College Student Should Learn To Drive Stick Shift

Eleven reasons why driving stick makes you a better driver.

2499

My dad told me a long time ago that everyone needs to learn how to drive a stick shift. This was when I first got my real first car, and I was nervously sitting in the driver's seat with absolutely no idea how to drive it. I see now why everyone should drive a stick shift, and it honestly takes learning how to drive one and experiencing the frustrations of failing to appreciate it.

For those of you who don't know how to drive stick shift, maybe you can understand the principles in this article. There are eleven reasons why everyone should drive stick, and we will begin with how to drive a stick shift.

1. You learn how transmissions work, and knowing how things work makes it easier to fix them.

The above illustration shows you the first thing people must understand to drive a stick, and the most difficult part of driving stick. Start with the clutch pressed down, the gear knob in 1st gear. Then release the clutch while simultaneously fanning the gas pedal in order to successfully roll out in first.

When you learn how the mechanism of transmission operates, you get a better idea of how cars work in general, which decreases frustration when things go wrong.

2. It teaches you patience as a driver.

Many automobile accidents occur because a driver isn't patient enough to stop when the light turns yellow and runs a red light. The method of driving a stick takes many failures until you are entirely successful: stalling out going into first gear, coming to stop and releasing the clutch while still in gear the car jumps viciously and dies, etc.

Through all of these failures, you become more patient with yourself as a learner, and long-term become a more patient and safer driver.

3. Your car lasts longer (cheaper maintenance).

Automatic transmissions in cars can start going out in cars as early as 60,000 miles if abused enough. Manual transmissions last longer because there are fewer components in the transmission versus an automatic, and most times it is a clutch that needs to be replaced because of gradual wear.

4. Getting the choice between fun and fuel.

Because there are so many power and torque conversions to made with automatic transmissions, some of the car's power is lost in an automatic, and thus requires more gas to operate at the same level of a manual transmission, assuming your car boasts over 250 horsepower and isn't a hybrid.

In a manual, you can dump the clutch and get better gas mileage all day versus an automatic. Or, you can run the RPMs high and have way more fun than any "sport" mode in an automatic.

5. It's impossible to text and drive.

Because you are lacking the free hand to do as you please that you would have with an automatic, there isn't a temptation to text and drive and otherwise be distracted on the road, thus making the ride safer.

6. You become a more aware driver.

Driving a stick shift is a four-limb process, simply put. When it comes to braking for a red light ahead, automatic drivers simply brake their vehicle. Experienced stick shift drivers learn to slow down ahead of time, downshift, and time the light. By safely doing this, there is less traffic volume when a light changes and everyone on the road is happier and less aggressive.

There are more cases than just braking, like having to be constantly alert of the drivers around you in case you need to downshift and slow down, or dramatically come to a halting stop (if you are in a high gear and kill all of your speed at once, you can stall out and cut the power supply to your car, so you have to be aware).

7. Everyone respects a stick-shift driver.

If you're a guy, other men respect you more (especially car enthusiasts) and it boosts your manliness, and ladies always think "that is so cool!" If you're a girl, as a guy speaking, it's really badass if a girl can drive a stick. It's a valuable life skill that can turn into a social skill.

8. Your car is exponentially less likely to be stolen.

How would a crook feel if they broke into a shiny new Mustang or BMW without a hitch, only to see the shiny gear shift knob staring back at him that they can't drive. You: 1, Car burglar: 0.

9. You will have absolute control of your car.

I've heard so many people with car problems say "my car won't go." Okay? That could be a lot of different things. But I know if I start my car and press my clutch all the way to the floor with ease and it won't roll out of first, then my car's clutch is shot.

The ability to have total control of what your car is doing is a liberating experience that makes you value your car more, and even build a bond with that car and love it. When you love your car, you become obsessed with it like I am.

10. Nobody can ever ask to borrow your car.

If they can't drive the car, how can your buddies borrow it then leave your gas tank on empty?

11. Honestly, it's just more fun.

This is something that only people that drive stick shifts can understand. Driving stick makes any car ride more than a Point A-Point B experience. And who doesn't like to pretend to be a racer from "Fast and Furious" sometimes?