Dreams Worth Pursuing

Dreams Worth Pursuing

The reason why it is important to follow your dreams.

41

I have had the privilege of living in Quincy Illinois on a farm my entire life. Growing up, I played with stuffed animals instead of Barbies and I chose to style my dog’s hair instead of my own. My parents should have known at that point that I would spend my life longing to become a Veterinarian. I remember my Mom brought home a plastic Veterinarian set which consisted of a stethoscope, bandages and a chart filled with blank charts just waiting to be filled out. My patients consisted of stuffed dogs and cats, but on occasion, I would catch one of our unsuspecting dogs and listen to their heartbeat with my plastic stethoscope.

As time passed, my love for animals only grew and I would make my parents stop for every stray dog I saw running along the road and I would rehabilitate baby bunnies and birds that needed a safe place to recover. Now, I am taking classes in college to reach my dream and I will always remember my roots. If I can give anyone a piece of advice, I would tell them to never give up on a dream or a passion because it can lead to beautiful destinations. I have often been asked why I would want to pursue a career that requires eight years of studying to earn a degree in Veterinary medicine. Instead of focusing on the time it takes to reach my goal, I think of the end result.

I am a dog, cat, and horse owner, therefore I know the importance of being able to count on someone to help my animals when they are in need. Eight years will seem like a very short time in the grand scheme of life and it is most definitely worth it to pursue a dream that I have had since I was a little girl. Any degree comes with challenges and obstacles along the way, but if it is something that a person is passionate about, it will be well worth the time and effort put into earning the degree. I truly believe it is crucial to be passionate about what you are doing in life and I have always been told to pick a career that will be enjoyable for years to come. Veterinary medicine is something that I will enjoy for the rest of my life because I can help both people and their animals which would make me feel like I am making a difference in the lives of others.

Animals have had such a huge impact on my life and I cannot think of a career that would be more rewarding to me than helping them. Several of my friends and family members have even said that this career is my true calling in life. I do not believe in coincidences and I have had several times in my life where I have been in the right places at the right times to help an animal in need. I have always heard the saying that a person may not be able to change the lives of all animals, however, a person can change the life of one animal which makes a difference. For me, it is a rewarding experience to give back to people and animals that need a helping hand. When I think about all of the animals and people that I have helped already, I always feel proud of the impact I have already made.

With every journey in life, I feel that it is important to have support. I am very blessed that I have family members and friends that have encouraged me to continue striving towards my goals. Knowing that I have so many people cheering me on helps me tremendously because I know that so many people are in my corner rooting me on and wanting nothing more than for me to achieve my goals. I will continue my classes in the fall and I am eager to be one step closer to my dream job. For each of you, I hope that you find a career that you love and have the supportive people in your life to help you get there.