My Dream School Wasn't A Dream

My Dream School Wasn't A Dream

It's okay if you don't like something as much as you thought you would.

69
My Dream School Wasn't A Dream
Jennifer Jarecki

My college experience so far hasn’t been a very traditional one. I thought I had it all figured out, but I quickly learned that I didn’t make the right school choice based on my individual personality. When I applied to universities as a senior in high school, I focused most of my attention on one in particular. If any relative asked me the dreaded question, “So, where are you going to college next year?”, I always had a perfect, concrete answer, unlike most of my peers at the time. I’d reply by saying that if I got into that school, I would most definitely go there. When my acceptance email arrived, I was in a dressing room preparing to go onstage for my high school’s fall musical. I thought it was a sign sent from above; while I had to say goodbye to theatre, something I loved incredibly much, I was moving onto bigger and better things in the academic realm. I was sure I’d love every moment at that school.

In the beginning of my freshman year, I tried with every fiber of my being to have fun and be happy. I urged myself to remember why I fell in love with the campus in the first place: the gorgeous lakes. When the weather was still warm, I would walk down to one of the lakes almost every day and study at a table outdoors. But even that favorite pastime of mine couldn’t mask the emptiness and sadness I constantly felt. I began to feel embarrassed and ashamed of my initial confidence in school choice. The thought of transferring crossed my mind, but what would my friends and family think? All the wonderful things they said about the quality of education I’d receive, the fun activities I’d participate in, and the people I’d meet rang through my head. So did the common phrase, “You don’t have to pretend to like something everyone else likes”. I simply didn't like what everyone else around me seemed to like.

I found myself sitting at my desk underneath my lofted bed for hours on end, working on homework I didn’t need to do yet, studying for exams that were far in the future, and shedding more tears than I should’ve been. Everything was so overwhelming to me. As an individual, I value small communities, groups of friends, and classrooms. But, when making my college decision, I disregarded my personal preferences and found myself in a huge city with around 40,000 other students. With all things considered, I knew that the best choice for me would be to transfer to a smaller school.

I decided to transfer to Carroll University, a small but mighty school with a great Nursing program. Leaving my roommate and friends I made at my first school was hard, but I’m much happier now. My whirlwind of a freshman year taught me that it truly is okay to change your mind. I’m living proof that everything turns out okay even if you need to make a huge life change. My family and friends supported my choice despite my fears that they wouldn't. All in all, if you’re in an undesirable situation but have the power to change it, you should. There’s no use in staying at a place or keeping yourself in a situation that’s making you more sad than happy. Most importantly, you should do what’s best for yourself without worrying about what others may think.