Dream Big, Princess

Dream Big, Princess

Disney's newest campaign is all about #GirlPower

15
Dream Big, Princess
Olivia Joehl

Anyone who knows me knows that I live and breathe Disney. I've written articles about why I'm in a relationship with Disney and about their Choose Kindness campaign, and now I'm going to write about a new Disney campaign that popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. It's entitled Dream Big, Princess.

Recently, social media channels of all kinds have been blowing up with politics, protests, boycotts, and every other negative thing you can think of. When I saw the video for Dream Big, Princess on my newsfeed I was close to tears. The video features the song "Hall of Fame" being sung by young girls, and videos of all our favorite princesses mixed with videos of girls running, dancing, painting, learning to read brail, reaching for their goals. The tagline for this campaign is: "For every girl who dreams big, there's a princess to show her it's possible." If that doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will.

Disney has done a fantastic job over the years showing their female audiences that they are important, talented, worthy, able, and strong. They do this by creating princesses from different cultures, backgrounds, and possess different talents and skills. The diversity in the lineup of Disney princesses is remarkable. The goal of combining the princesses in this campaign is to "inspire girls all around the world to realize their full potential and dream big." Over the next year, this campaign will celebrate new themes each month such as kindness, friendship, and adventure. Disney Channel and Disney Junior will be hosting "Night of Big Dreams" and "Day of Big Dreams" on February 19 and 26.

The Disney Princesses have not always been viewed in a positive light. There are critics out there that point out how weak they are because they are saved by a prince, or that they are stereotypical, or not diverse. Looking all the way back to Snow White, the first Disney Princess, she is anything but weak. She runs away from home because her mother tried to kill her because she was considered more beautiful. Given that circumstance, she continues to be happy. Can you say emotionally strong? This teaches young girls that no matter the circumstances in life, you can solve most problems with a positive attitude.

Moving up to more recent princesses, Rapunzel is my favorite princess and role model. She was kidnapped as an infant, used for her magic hair, grows up believing her kidnapper is her real mother, meets the charming Flynn Ryder (Eugene) and falls hair over heels into the biggest adventure of her life. She was trapped in a tower for 18 years and this keeps her innocent and judgement-free. She goes out into the world making friends with the most unexpected characters, chases her dream fearlessly, and eventually stands up to her oppressor. Another emotionally strong princess for the win!

These princesses are the perfect role models for young girls today and this campaign will only increase their popularity. I want to conclude with a thank you to Disney, specifically for continuing to inspire children of all ages, myself included. Disney has kept my heart young, my mind full of imagination, and my soul full of magic. I thank Disney for showing young girls that STRONG is the new pretty and the most important thing you can be, no matter how it looks.