Double Standards: Why Are You The Only One Being Objectified?

It is 2015, and everyone is a victim of sexual objectification

204

As we enter this important time in our lives, we have to realize that certain things are deadly for our soul.

With the recent release of MMXXL, it seems like women have lost their marbles for these hot men, which is completely fine—I love watching Channing Tatum dance around half-naked as much as the next girl—but we sometimes don't realize the hypocrisy toward gender roles.

The trailer for MMXXL nearly knocked women off their chairs as we all fantasized about muscles and sexual moves.

But what if this movie were about female strippers?

How many women would be outraged and disgusted? How many women would protest that females were being objectified as sexual objects?

I would say a large majority.

I am not trying to convince anyone not to enjoy this movie or daydream about Channing Tatum because that is a difficult thing. What I am asking is for women to take a step back and realize that bashing women for doing what we are glorifying men for doing is hurtful not only to women as a whole but to our own self-esteem. We are setting restrictions on ourselves because those actions are not "lady-like" or how we want to be portrayed.

Throughout history, women have never been seen as sexual, so wouldn't those actions we judge be fighting the social norm?

We can't ask to be treated equally in this world and then treat our own unequally within our own world.

We all love this

and this

but we are objectifying men for sex just like we claim that women are. There is no difference. One is no better than the other. So let's drop the double standard.

Though I am not a fan of Kim Kardashian, I support her. We judge her for becoming famous by being naked, but so many men in the entertainment industry are profiting from taking their shirts off.

We also judge Victoria's Secret models, Sports Illustrated models, singers, and any other influential women who profit from sex because they are painting a negative picture of women to younger generations, but the business delivers what the consumer wants.

Why is this OK to us?

But not this..

If we are all trying to be equal, let's not drool over Tim Howard but bash Hannah Davis for using her body for fame. She is actually wearing clothing.

Sex isn't everything but it sure causes a large scandal and grabs attention for everyone no matter your gender or age. We all know women face some unequal treatment, but we as women do not need to help fuel the fire by tearing each other down.

Like what you want and support your ideas but realize that during this time everyone is being sexualized, not just women. As much as we women want to say, "No, we are the only victims," men are being portrayed as muscular perfection, which is just as hurtful as the thigh gap craze.

Take Justin Bieber. He has a pretty good body on the right, but we can see the large enhancements made to his body on the left to make him more attractive to the female audience.

The idea of having the "perfect" body affects everyone.