Double Standards: It's A Trap

Double Standards: It's A Trap

Why can one gender get away with what another one can't?

64
Double Standards: It's A Trap
Coppell Student Media

Tell me why we live in a society where it’s okay for a guy to gloat about all the girls he has slept with and get praised by his friends, but God forbid a girl has had sex with more than two guys. Suddenly she’s a slut, but he can have sex with eight girls and “he’s the man”.

Slut shaming is the act of criticizing a woman for her real or presumed sexual activity, or for behaving in ways that someone thinks are associated with her real or presumed sexual activity. I’m tired of hearing people go, “Oh yeah her? She gets around. Be careful.” Honestly, why does it matter? As individuals we’re entitled to do whatever we want with whomever we want. We are in charge of ourselves and our own bodies. Why do we confuse sexiness with sluttiness? Just because a girl is pretty, doesn’t mean she’s a slut, yet that’s how society thinks. "Oh she's fit, she has a nice smile, everyone loves her! She must be a slut." This is NOT how it works. Regardless of their physical appearance, and what they do with their bodies, you have no right to call someone a slut.

It’s unfortunate how many girls are afraid to have sex because they think they’ll be pegged as a “slut”. It’s a double-edged sword: if you have sex, you’re a slut. If you don’t, you’re a prude. One of my favorite lines from the film, "The Breakfast Club" are when “basket case” Allison introduces the “double-edged sword” to “the Princess” Claire. Allison says, “Well, if you say you haven't, you're a prude. If you say you have you're a slut. It's a trap. You want to but you can't, and when you do you wish you didn't, right?”

Let’s talk about Penn State fraternity Kappa Delta Rho and how the members thought it would be “cool” and “hilarious” to make a website and post nude pictures of unconscious girls posed in sexual positions without their consent.

“A former member of the fraternity walked into a police station and asked to meet with the authorities about what he thought might be criminal conduct. The man, who has since been declared a 'cooperating informant,' eventually showed investigators printed copies of some of the photographs that appeared online.

This wasn’t the first time either. A year previous to this incident the other page was shut down when a female, who was pictured topless on it, found the page and reported it.

Rebecca Rejto, a senior biology major who was eating lunch at the student union. ‘It is disgusting — disturbing. I think fraternities need to be better educated about the use of social media and treatment of women.’

Taylor Bivens, a junior studying biobehavioral health, described the episode as ‘sad and scary.’

20 females between the ages of 18-23 were questioned in a poll: “Have you ever been called a slut for something you’ve worn? Have you been called a slut for how many people you’ve been with?” 100% said that they have been called a slut for an outfit they’ve worn, 85% said yes they’ve been called a slut for how many people they’ve been with. The other 15% said that they hadn’t been called a slut for it, but they’ve had friends who have.

I was curious about both genders when it came to still being a virgin in college. For girls, I noticed a lot were religious, and are choosing to wait until marriage, and that guys usually assume a girl is religious if she’s still a virgin. In reality, anyone can be a virgin for whatever the reason may be. Some people genuinely want to wait, and that’s nothing to be ashamed of. As a girl, other girls will praise you for it. Now for guys who are in college and still a virgin, it’s a whole other story. I was reading a Yahoo! Answers thread about a 19-year-old male who was still a virgin. He explains that guys who aren’t even his friends were calling him “gay” or “not sex worthy” because he wasn’t a jock. Some guys will even lie about losing it just so they can fit in.

I think a lot of us, male and female, are getting really tired of double standards and being told what we should and shouldn't do with our bodies. It's 2016, people. Let's make an end to double standards.