The Do's And Don'ts Of Anime Conventions For First-Time Attendees

First time at an anime convention? Follow these guidelines to have a great time!

2872
Bryanna Streeter

How did you spend your pre-holiday weekend this year? Being the nerd that I am, I spent my time at Anime Expo 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. This annual summer event attracts thousands of anime and manga fans from across the nation, and it's four days of special panels, merchandise shopping, artist features, concerts, cosplay, gaming, karaoke and much more. But Anime Expo can be overwhelming to first-time convention attendees, as it's the largest anime convention in the U.S., so here are some helpful guidelines to help you have the best time! First of all..

1. DO plan ahead.

Spontaneity can be fun, but popular panels and events have limited seating and can be difficult to get into unless you show up at least an hour before. Check the schedule or program beforehand to figure out when and where you need to be.

2. DON'T line up for panels where it's actually being held.

I'm not sure if this applies to all anime conventions, but Anime Expo has designated line-up areas for each room, usually outdoors under large awnings. Panel attendees must ask staff where these areas are, as they're not listed in the program. It sounds confusing, but it helps avoid congestion in the hallways and makes the transition between events more smooth.

3. DO take pictures of your favorite cosplays.

Anime conventions give you the opportunity to see your favorite characters walking around with everyone else. Cosplayers put a ton of effort into preparing their costumes, many of which are handmade, and they appreciate knowing that their effort has paid off. Don’t be afraid to ask for a picture and let them know how awesome their costume looks!

With that in mind, however…

4. DON’T mistake cosplay for consent.

A costume showing a lot of skin is NOT an invitation to inappropriately touch or harass a cosplayer. Be respectful, and DO ask first before taking photos, and keep your hands to yourself.

5. DO check out Artist Alley.

Another highlight of anime conventions is seeing hundreds of artists come together to display their creativity and earn extra bucks from doing what they love. This is personally the area I spend most money on, as my poster wall can never get enough prints. Make sure to take their business card or save their website or Tumblr URL so you can check out their other work!

6. DON’T spend all your money on the first day if you’re going multiple days.

As tempting as it might be to splurge every time you see something you like, chances are, it will still be there the next day. Budget wisely.

7. DO stay hydrated and take occasional breaks.

Conventions involve a lot of walking, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes and give your feet a break when necessary. This especially true for summertime conventions like AX, where 108-degree Los Angeles weather will not agree with heavy cloaks and full-body costumes. Find a cool shaded area to rest in.

8. DON'T leave your personal items unattended.

Conventions are crowded and hectic places. It's already easy to lose your friends in the vast sea of attendees and even easier to lose your bags, purse and other items.

And finally...

9. DO introduce yourself to new people and make some new friends!

Chances are that you and other attendees are into anime, manga or Japanese culture, and have some shared interests. Branch out a bit and welcome some new acquaintances into your circle.

Other than that, have fun!