What It's Like Going To A 'Supernatural' Convention

The breathtaking experience of seeing all of your favorite actors in one room.

4182
Creation Entertainment

If you have the opportunity to go to a convention, big like Comic Con or small like that anime convention a few towns over--I highly recommend you go to it.

I have been to many anime conventions in Illinois, all of them being AnimeCon.org Cons. I have attended Anime Midwest, Anime-ZAP, Con+Alt+Delete, and AnimeZing in the past, and loved every second of it. From beautiful cosplays to wonderful staff, conventions are something that you don't want to miss.

This year, for the second time, I was able to attend Supernatural Chicago. A different pace from anime conventions, a lot larger, but still comfortable and extremely fun!

The best tactic to buy tickets for Supernatural conventions is to snag them when you can afford them--don't save up and wait because big sellers, such as Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki photo ops, will sell out in a few months. The tickets are rather pricey as well, a solo op for Jensen or Jared was $149 plus $7.75 "shipping and handling" from Creation Ent., and a duo photo op with the boys was $399!

This year, I decided to get as many photo ops as possible before the convention. I bought one with Jared Padalecki (Sam Winchester) for $149, one with Jeffrey Dean Morgan (John Winchester) for $119, one with Misha Collins (Castiel) for $99, one with Matt Cohen (Michael/Young John Winchester) for $50, and one with Misha Collins (Castiel) and Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester) for $245. Those tickets alone cost a whopping $700.75, "shipping and handling" included.

The admission package I went for was the Copper Weekend Admission Package, which cost $340, but included closer seating to the main stage and a complimentary ticket to the Saturday Night Special Concert, featuring Louden Swain!

Before I arrived at the convention, I had spent $1,040.75. (I probably should have saved up for college instead.)

After I had arrived at the convention and purchased a photo op with Richard Speight, Jr. (Gabriel/Trickster) and Richard Speight, Jr. plus Matt Cohen (Michael/Young John Winchester,) I had spent $1,144.75.

My wallet is still weeping.

However, walking through the doors to the Hyatt Regency Hotel, I knew that it was worth it.

The atmosphere alone of any convention puts a smile on your face. There are thousands of people wandering around, all of which who have the same interest as you. It's an irreplaceable feeling of unification.

Meeting the cast was a magical experience, each of the actors were so cool and kind. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was nothing like John Winchester, or Negan from The Walking Dead. His photo ops and autographs ran hours past their scheduled end times because he insisted on taking a minute with each and every fan that came through to make sure they got their money's worth.

I had planned on taking a badass back-to-back photo with him, but once he took my hands into his own and looked into my eyes, talking about how nice it was to meet me, I melted.

We ended up hugging instead.

There wasn't a bad moment in my whole experience, from the Friday Night Karaoke "Game of Tones" party, to getting a humorous picture taken with Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins.

Sunday came too soon. I was sad it was over, but so glad it had happened. 'Twas better to attend and leave than to never attend at all.

I plan on going again next year, and every year I can in the future. There's something about the convention scene that feels like home.

If you ever get the chance to go to any convention, I promise you that it is worth it. The memories last a lifetime.