Your Dorm Room Medicine Cabinet

Your Dorm Room Medicine Cabinet

Stock up on these drugstore basics to keep your illness from getting in the way of college life.

328
Your Dorm Room Medicine Cabinet
Public Domain

If you're anything like me, you don't just pick up your roommate's cold; you pick up everyone's cold. As someone who lives in a constant state of sniffles and nausea, college is the perfect breeding ground for the next virus that you'll pick up. Luckily, you can stock up on some lifesavers like these before you're on death's doorstep in your dorm room. If it's serious, you should contact your school's health center and arrange for a doctor's appointment, but for the common finals' week sore throat, these are a quick fix that you don't need to leave your room for.

Before you rush to the nearest Target for these dorm medicines, make sure you've been vaccinated for things like meningitis. Herd immunization only works if everyone in your hall has gotten it, after all!

1. Tylenol

This is the barest of essentials. You're kidding yourself if you want to haul your butt to the health center or your friend's room when you have a killer headache.

2. DayQuil/NyQuil

This might be the best thing ever invented. They even come in handy little capsules for when you're running from class to class with snot running down your chin.

3. Pepto-Bismol

Now, I'm not one for drinking this pink nightmare. If I get a stomach ache, I chug ginger tea and cross my fingers. So far, that's worked for me. But if your stomach bug is causing you more distress than Tums can cure, you should have some of this on hand.

4. Hydrocortisone Cream

This is my fix-all for irritated skin and scratches and bug bites. Seriously, I smear it on everything. While you're at it, pick up some Neosporin. This will keep those nasty new shoe blisters from getting nastier.

5. Miniature Tissue Packs

Mid-lecture nosebleeds. Enough said.

6. Cough Drops

A variety is good. Pro-tip: check the active ingredients list to see how much of the real medicine is in them. Some are more like hard candy than a cough suppressant.

7. Tea and Honey

Having soothing warm beverages in your arsenal will make all the difference. Avoid things like soda, because they can aggravate the illness. Water is #1, but hot tea should be #2.

8. Multivitamins

While you're feeling good about stocking up your dorm room, pick up some multivitamins. They do sell adult gummy versions, you know. The best way to deal with a cold is to not get one!

With luck, you'll be healthy, wealthy, and wise all year at college. However, don't fear if you get strep, though. College campus health centers are swift and helpful so you can get back in class ASAP.