10 Packing Hacks For Moving Out Of Your Dorm

Moving out is stressful enough, but doing everything last minute while cramming for exams just makes it worse, so here are some tips to ease the frustration.

196
Andy Hodes

Whether you’re moving your items into a storage unit over the summer or shipping everything home, packing can be extremely stressful, so here are some tips and hacks for moving out of your dorm room, apartment, or house.

1. Start with clothes early

Realistically, how many outfits do you need during exam week? When you’re cramming for finals and not going out as often, you probably don’t need your entire wardrobe. It’s really helpful to start folding and packing a week ahead of time before you get too stressed.

2. Label your boxes

You can use Dorm Room Movers, College Hunks, or other moving companies that will send you supply kits in advance, pick up your things before move-out, and drop them off during move-in. Regardless of whether you use these companies or not, you’re going to have to put your stuff in something. Boxes, storage containers, etc., should all be labeled. Get some tape and a Sharpie and write exactly what you’re putting in the boxes, and number the boxes out of the total # of boxes or containers you have. It’s also easier and more convenient to put alike things inside the same boxes.

3. Cover your fragile items

I learned the hard way that you should always use towels, newspaper, blankets, or bubble wrap (if you have some extra lying around..?) to wrap up your dishes and anything else fragile. That way if your storage gets knocked around, nothing will crack or get smashed in travel.

4. Reuse the boxes things originally came in

Unless you’ve already thrown away the boxes for your toaster, makeup mirror, lamps, television, and other items then it’s smart to put them right back in the boxes for easy and safe transportation.

5. Use small boxes for small items

Jewelry and other tiny objects can easily be stored in cheap pillboxes or mini drawer sets (as long as the drawers are taped shut). That way, your chances of losing that little diamond earring are slim-to-none.

6. Shower caps keep your shoes from spreading dirt

You can put a pair of shoes in a shower cap, and you can buy a huge pack of plastic shower caps for very cheap. It’s just an easy way to send shoes home both conveniently and clean.

7. Use hair elastics to hold hangers

Don’t just throw all your empty hangers in a box. I promise, they’ll tangle and it’ll be extremely annoying when you re-open that box. Use hair-ties/ponytail holders or rubber bands to hold hangers together in sets of ten. Then you can lay them flat or set them upright, and they won’t fold into each other.

8. Set aside rental textbooks and sell the others

DO NOT FORGET TO RETURN YOUR RENTED TEXTBOOKS!!! Set them aside ahead of time so you don’t put them in your suitcase or boxes for storage. Other textbooks? Check out the university Facebook groups and try to sell them if you can, or sell them back to your university if you have that option like University of Tampa. After you finish taking algebra, you’re probably not going to need the book again, but you can almost always make some cash back by selling it to someone who has signed up for the same course for the following semester.

9. Distribute even weight and ensure items are secure

Don’t try to overstuff one box when you have others left. You already have the boxes or storage containers, so use them. When it comes to storage, tape the drawers shut so they don’t open. Also make sure you tape your rolled up rug in three places so it’s completely fastened.

10. Prepare your appliances

Unplug and open your refrigerator at least two days before move out. That way, it’s completely defrosted and dried so it doesn’t leak out onto other items or create mold.