how to make college move in easier

5 Tricks To Survive The Dreaded College Move-In Day

If you have experienced move-in day before, you understand how hectic it is and you know you need all the help you can get.

76

Some schools have a move-in day team, which is a group of people that help all the students move into their dorms. Even if you are lucky enough that your school has a move-in day team, but I would not count on them to help carry all your stuff to your dorm. Your belongings will be packed into carts to help you at least get to your building. So, you need to make sure you have everything packed in the easiest way to unload and that you have all your necessities for at least the day. Basically, everything is up to you.

1. Label boxes and make a list

Just like when you move out, you need to label all the packed boxes and make a list of what's in each box. Before I moved in, I had a whole guest bedroom filled with everything I needed to bring. I had no real organization and, if I had left my belonging packed like that, I would have never found anything I needed in the order I needed it. For instance, you are going to want to make your bed before the day ends and you will not be able to if it is packed away with items you do not need yet. So, you should label your boxes with a number after filling it. Once you mark the box, write down the number and the contents that are inside on a notepad or on your phone.

2. Pack a move-in day bag

Move-in day can be hectic and you may not finish unpacking all of your belongings. So, it is best to ensure that you pack a bag with all your daily essentials. This includes clothes for the day of and the next, pajamas, self-care essentials, and anything else you use on a daily basis. With my luck, I would end up forgetting simple things like socks or my toothpaste if I did not pack a move-in day bag. For this reason, I recommend packing a similar bag for when you move out at the end of the year.

3. Pack your bedding and personal bag last

As I mentioned previously, you will be unloading everything quickly because there is a limited amount of carts. So, you should at least make sure your bedding and personal bag make it to your room first. You may not finish unpacking that day, so it is no big deal if you leave unessential items and decorations in the car for the night. However, you need bedding to sleep that night and you need your personal items to survive the day.

4. Put together fans first

Dorm rooms are locked all Summer, and the windows are shut closed. There is no airflow, which makes it stuffy and extremely hot. You could be lucky and have air conditioning in your dorm, which means you can skip this tip altogether. However, if you are like most first-year students who live in a dorm without air conditioning, you need to set up your fans first to avoid having a heat stroke. That may be an exaggeration, but it is the worst feeling to sweat while you are sleeping.

5. Bring snacks

Look, this whole ordeal with make you not only sweaty and annoyed but also hungry and tired. You aren't going to want to go out and get food, at least I know I didn't because I was COMPLETELY drained. So, the best advice I can give anyone is to PACK SNACKS. This includes everything from breakfast to possibly dinner. Make sure to bring drinks, so no one passes out from dehydration.