Busted!

Busted!

Major League Baseball All-Star Infielder Suspended Using Performance Enhancing Substance

369
Busted!
mlb.com

Throughout its history, Major League Baseball has cracked down on players who use performance-enhancing drugs, to boost their numbers. Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds publicly announced they did indeed use PEDs and, as punishment, the legendary baseball stars have yet been voted in to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York and will wait even further. MLB is doing all it can to keep the integrity, tradition, and morality of the game safe from the dangers of steroids.

But yesterday, news broke out that Seattle Mariners All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano was suspended 80 games by MLB for testing positive on a performance-enhancing drug called Furosemide. The drug, according to reports, was “prescribed to Cano by a Dominican doctor to help treat an ailment.” Cano, already missing time due to injuries, issued a statement apologizing to the league, the Seattle Mariners organization, the fans, and his teammates. Seattle signed Cano away from the New York Yankees after the 2013 season and made an immediate impact on that offense. Now, he’ll have to watch as his team continues to compete for its first postseason berth since 2001, currently the longest playoff drought of the four major sports leagues.

While Cano serves his suspension, Seattle will look to plug in platoon players from off the bench and consider making a move at the July 31 trade deadline. The Mariners are currently 3rd in the American League West division, trailing the defending World Series champion Houston Astros by two and a half games. There is still a lot of baseball to be played, and the Mariners are relying on Cano to get healthy and stay out of further trouble. MLB made it clear that players who are caught using PEDs or other forms of steroids will face severe discipline, whatever form it takes. The league is continuing to clean up these filthy acts, just like the NFL is.

What will be the result of Cano’s suspension?For Mariners fans, they hope it will be a thing of the past. These people are desperately hoping that Cano will return better than ever, and will continue to put up exceptional batting numbers, ultimately leading the team to the playoffs. Cano is going to pay for his mistake. He is human. But with all this time away from baseball, he should get his focus back to helping his team win games. He must put this issue behind him and not let it get to his head or, potentially,ruin his team’s chances to succeed.