Don't Tell Me How To Do My #MeToo

Don't Tell Me How To Do My #MeToo

Deafen belittlement on or off the grid.

26
Don't Tell Me How To Do My #MeToo
Unsplash

The hashtag is such an intriguing creation. That intangible gathering of thoughts and emotions—the interactive base that whittles down the search for certain pieces of media, focused on a specific subject—can be used effectively for some of the most thought-provoking, interesting or, in the case of #MeToo, the most gut-wrenching of admissions.

In light of the painful accounts, there’s much to take in under the #MeToo hashtag across the plains of social media. It awakens those to shift the focus to the offended and not the offender.

A few assertions popped into my head the other day while staring down the white, open space of my Status Update field above a news feed. I challenged myself to not even think, much less type, the word “victim” to describe anyone. I chose not to describe myself that way either.

So, please know that, below this point in this article, you are not going to see that word. I’m reevaluating the way I process and contribute to the dialogue about hurtful pasts.

Whether I type the #MeToo hashtag and post my personal story or not, I am not giving credit to any film producer and his vile deeds for igniting discussions on sexual harassment and assault.

Of course, the use of a hashtag isn’t the end-all-be-all statement for communicating your thoughts to people all over the world. It is one type of a step toward a courageousness that can be witnessed by all.

I will say though, let’s not fall prey to the old question that says, ‘If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?’ If no one sees that hashtag on your social media, does it mean you haven’t been harassed or assaulted? Does it mean you don’t care? No.

The absence of #MeToo does not disprove your hurt, your empathy, or even the fact that #MeToo is your sentiment. Then, another branch of thought reminded me to give credit to self for even trying to crack open the minds of people that make light of belittlement and for exercising truth and empowerment.

I encourage any of you to consider that too. Let’s remind people to not call this hashtag a confirmation of the fact that sexual harassment or assault is real because it has always been real.

While everyone is questioning our timing, our delivery, the medium we use to inform, the medium we use to heal, our appearances, our past experiences, let us realize something about the people that have something negative to say about our involvement.

It is not our job to make the masses that are seeing #MeToo in various places more comfortable with the way we choose to conjure courage.

The absence of the hashtag does not exclude you, your involvement, your situation, and it does not sully your chance to be candid. Let me explain something else without the fear of being repetitive-- #MeToo is allowed to be an anonymous expression. It’s allowed to be 100 characters long just as much as it can be 1,000 characters long. It’s allowed to be applied today. It’s allowed to be applied 100 years from now.

You’ll never be too late for the movement, on or off the grid.