6 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Live In The Dorms Your Freshman Year
College

6 Arguments AGAINST Living In The Dorms Your Freshman Year

Consider the following.

383

It's the exact opposite reason than everyone else will tell you. But believe me, you'll regret it if you do.

1. It's expensive.

Any college will charge you an average of $900 to $1,200 a month not including meal plan to live in a tiny box with strangers. Apartments are bigger, secluded, generally with people you know and can be anywhere from $500 to $1,200... but probably 30 times nicer.

2. They're dirty.

Anyone who has stepped into a dorm room or bathroom knows just how gross they are. Either Chad from down the hall yacked in the hallway, someone broke the exit sign, or your random suite mate Lauren used the last of the toilet paper and didn't tell anyone.

3. You likely won't know everyone you live with.

Living with two or three new people sounds awesome. Someone you met on Facebook, orientation or a random generator. It could seem like a great opportunity to make new friends. However, the odds that you find out every little detail that you should know about just how well you'll all blend is unlikely. Fights and issues can quickly emerge and be hard to resolve.

4. You have no control.

With having two beds in one room, the lack of personal space or being able to have a set schedule is nearly impossible. If your roommate is up studying at 4 a.m., you'll have to also be awake or sleep with the lights on. If your roommate has s girlfriend or boyfriend you now have to deal with that noise and stress to. Trust me, it's just not ideal. Nothing is your own.

5. There's no separation between school and home.

Being in a dorm, you're directly in the middle of campus. With that, you leave class and immediately end up still in the middle of the madness at home. Essentially, you can never get away from the high stress or high functioning environment that is school and campus and have a calm place. There will always be something happening or some noise somewhere around you.

6. You HAVE to have a meal plan.

Many schools require all students living in the dorms to have a meal plan unless receiving a medical notice. Not only can this cost anywhere from $1,200 to $5,000 on top of the dorm housing cost... but the food rarely changes and can be gross. Not to mention the lack of options for allergies, or vegan, vegetarian, no pork, etc.