7 Things to say to those who claim they don't like musicals

They don't know what they're missing, and you're about about to tell them.

758

While it can be difficult to convert naysayers into theater fanatics, it certainly isn't impossible. Here are a few ways to respond to those who don't know what they are missing.

1. "There are so many more genres beyond classic show tunes."

Some shows like The Book of Mormon are known for their popularity among those who wouldn't call themselves theatergoers.

2. "Let me tell you about Jonathan Groff..."

It's time to start dropping names.

3. "...and show you this picture of Jonathan Groff!"

If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.

4. "Musicals are becoming increasingly mainstream."

Now we resort to to some bandwagon propaganda.

5. "Did you listen to Hamilton?"

It's worth a shot. Whether you like Hamilton or not, you have to admit that it attracted a new crowd to the theater community.

6. "But even *insert name of famous actor/actress* was in a show!"

This is getting a bit desperate, but it might work.

7. "Let's go see a musical together."

If you really want to convince a friend of yours, there's no better way to do so than by taking them to a show. Pick out one that you think they would truly enjoy. Chances are high that by the time intermission comes around, you'll have a new theater fanatic by your side.