I Don't Like Drinking, And That's OK

I Don't Like Drinking, And That's OK

I don't drink often, but I don't judge those who do.
13

I’m just going to say it: I don’t really enjoy drinking.

I know you’re probably thinking, “What?!?” When I tell people I’ve only had a few glasses of wine since I turned 21 four months ago and that’s it, their jaws tend to drop, because who in college doesn’t drink? Isn’t that only what college students do?

And no, I don’t think I’m “better” than people who do drink or think that drinking is trashy. Trust me, if I could have a couple shots and feel relaxed and have fun, I would! I envy the people that can handle their alcohol well and relax with it. But it’s just not me.

I already get a little bit nervous about parties. I go them sometimes, but not every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday like a lot of people. I don’t like crowds, and I don’t enjoy walking from party house to party house as the police show up at each one. Honestly, I’d rather be snuggled up in bed than wandering the streets of South Bend and paying for cabs. I’ve been to a lot of parties, and while I know they’re fun for most people (and that’s great!), they’re not always fun for me.

And even if all parties went smoothly and were fun for me, drinking is a whole different story. I’m 4’11" and small-framed, and one drink hits me hard. I skip the fun and relaxed part and go straight to the dizzy and nauseous part. I don’t feel happy and excited, I have a headache and need to go to the bathroom.

I also just don’t like the feeling of being drunk. I like to be in control of my body. When I drink, I don’t feel relaxed, I feel tense. I know that’s not how most people feel, but it is how I feel. Drinking just makes me nervous, and that’s okay.

In general, I really prefer more sober ways of having fun. For me, a fun night involves going to the movies, the mall, Chipotle, watching a movie, playing games, and not going to a party. When you’re out with friends at a party, it’s loud and chaotic, with people are scattered all over the place. Some of my best memories with my friends are when we stayed in and talked to each other late into the night: and the best part is we can actually remember it!

I’m not opposed to all drinking; I love enjoying a nice glass of wine every now and then. I appreciate the taste of wine, and I’d be lying if I said ordering a glass of chardonnay didn’t make me feel refined. If a drink sounds super fun and has alcohol in it, I’ll definitely try it, just because who WOULDN’T want to try an Oreo milkshake with Bailey’s Irish cream, or a mango pineapple daiquiri? That sounds delicious and awesome.

If you enjoying going to parties and drinking with friends, great! Continue to do it, because you should do whatever makes you happy. And if you aren’t really the partying type, know you’re not alone! Even though in college it feels like everyone is doing it, there are those rare people who really just don’t care for it. Do whatever you prefer, and don’t worry about people judging you. Your happiness is all that really matters, not the opinion of others.