New Year, New Opportunities

New Year, New Opportunities

Make changes. Not because it's a New Year, but because YOU want to!

6
Personal

What keeps us from doing things we want to do, but don’t? Is it the thought of failure, lack of money, scared of looking foolish, or just intimidated? A New Year is approaching which means a new you is in the making. I start thinking about all the things I haven’t done this past year and want to finally do in 2017. The question is, why didn’t I achieve them this past year and why did I wait for a new year to start doing these things? Each day is a new day, and I could start on any given day to implement the things that I have wanted to do; like read a book once a week, join local clubs, and finally start traveling.

It’s the little things that matter the most. Certainly I have made excuses this past year. I have a job that takes most of my time and when I get home I just want to relax. Money plays a big part, and most of all finding the motivation to actually get up and do something. Reflecting on this past year I have done new things, like taking a trip to Boston, dating, accepting a new position at my job, and getting back into running; but there is so much more I want to do. So why not do it?

Traveling is something I am passionate about and want to do; therefore, in this New Year of 2017 I will. I will travel to states I have never been to before. I will get my passport and travel to different countries. I will start saving money to start new adventures. I will not make excuses in 2017. I have realized that I don’t like failing or looking foolish, so in order to avoid those things I usually won’t do something. For example I went ice skating for the first time this past week and the whole time I was thinking, "Please don’t let me fall in front of all these people." After 30 minutes I finally let go of the wall and just started to skate on my own and if I fell well I would just get back up and start again. That’s what I am going to do in the New Year. If I fall (and I will) I will just get back up and keep going because if I stop I still keep gliding on the ice.

Making New Year’s Resolutions is not something I do because I never keep them or I only keep them for the month of January and forget about them the following months. I;m going to make resolutions, but more like a lifestyle change. I am going to stop letting fear of failure hold me back and just do it. I will start my blog; I will start pursing my dream of becoming a fashion stylist; I will start travelling; I will run a marathon; I will make changes in my daily routine; I will stop holding myself back. Most of all I will keep ALL of these resolutions I have made for myself.

A New Year means a New YOU! A chance to change things that you aren’t happy with, to look at the past as a stepping stone for your future, and not let self-doubt keep you on that wall because it's okay to fall as long as you stick the landing. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you!”