New Year, New Opportunities

New Year, New Opportunities

Make changes. Not because it's a New Year, but because YOU want to!

6
New Year, New Opportunities
Personal

What keeps us from doing things we want to do, but don’t? Is it the thought of failure, lack of money, scared of looking foolish, or just intimidated? A New Year is approaching which means a new you is in the making. I start thinking about all the things I haven’t done this past year and want to finally do in 2017. The question is, why didn’t I achieve them this past year and why did I wait for a new year to start doing these things? Each day is a new day, and I could start on any given day to implement the things that I have wanted to do; like read a book once a week, join local clubs, and finally start traveling.

It’s the little things that matter the most. Certainly I have made excuses this past year. I have a job that takes most of my time and when I get home I just want to relax. Money plays a big part, and most of all finding the motivation to actually get up and do something. Reflecting on this past year I have done new things, like taking a trip to Boston, dating, accepting a new position at my job, and getting back into running; but there is so much more I want to do. So why not do it?

Traveling is something I am passionate about and want to do; therefore, in this New Year of 2017 I will. I will travel to states I have never been to before. I will get my passport and travel to different countries. I will start saving money to start new adventures. I will not make excuses in 2017. I have realized that I don’t like failing or looking foolish, so in order to avoid those things I usually won’t do something. For example I went ice skating for the first time this past week and the whole time I was thinking, "Please don’t let me fall in front of all these people." After 30 minutes I finally let go of the wall and just started to skate on my own and if I fell well I would just get back up and start again. That’s what I am going to do in the New Year. If I fall (and I will) I will just get back up and keep going because if I stop I still keep gliding on the ice.

Making New Year’s Resolutions is not something I do because I never keep them or I only keep them for the month of January and forget about them the following months. I;m going to make resolutions, but more like a lifestyle change. I am going to stop letting fear of failure hold me back and just do it. I will start my blog; I will start pursing my dream of becoming a fashion stylist; I will start travelling; I will run a marathon; I will make changes in my daily routine; I will stop holding myself back. Most of all I will keep ALL of these resolutions I have made for myself.

A New Year means a New YOU! A chance to change things that you aren’t happy with, to look at the past as a stepping stone for your future, and not let self-doubt keep you on that wall because it's okay to fall as long as you stick the landing. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you!”