You Can't Hit A Reset Button, But You Can Improve From The Past

Hitting reset isn't an option, but improvement is out there.

80
Public Domain

I've recently adapted the art of meditation when going to the river. Having music in my ears and a sunset to watch or a walk to explore may sound like the meditational guide for perfect zen, yet when you battle with a mind that spews hundreds of thoughts a minute, it may be disturbing to your tranquility.

I've made many mistakes throughout my schooling. And I often wish I had that one magic wand. A wand that can reset certain aspects of life. A wand that can undo every mistake I have ever made.

And then there are those who want the button to redo their entire life. Undo every action ever made and stop their past selves from damaging the law, life, and other options.

But to those people, I say this: unfortunately, there is no reset button, but opportunity to move forward.

Before anything serious, a bit of satire is in order. If you do hit a reset button, you may simply break a hole in the space-time continuum. Yes, that sounds farfetched, but nobody's ever tried. I wouldn't risk breaking time and space, however. As cool as it may be seeing yourself in duplicate time, it sounds more something fictional and probably would really confuse humanity.

All jokes aside, unfortunately, a reset button can't be done. Things happen for a reason. Friends come and go. Hearts are broken. Arguments are started. Families are divided and so forth. This is life.

And I've had my fair share of moments where I want to slam my hand down on a reset button, but I simply cannot. And as you read this, you're probably thinking, What can I fix to make things right again?

The previous question is a bit rhetorical. While people may come up with a list of ways to fix the past, the reciprocating end may not always want to fix the issues. That may sound like a copping out issue, but it's a sad truth. Not always will people want to talk things over. Some people will try to reciprocate the apology with a pushover. Others will embrace the apology with open arms.

So there is really no answer to friendships. No matter how many texts are made, no matter how many gestures are attempted, and no matter how many apologies are said or tears shed reliving memories, there may not be a fix. Simply put, we cannot undo life to prevent a falling out.

However, there is still hope to move forward. Maybe closure won't come in the form of an action, but how the action is dealt with. Maybe a reevaluation of self can come from something of this matter. Other times, a realization of true allies and friends rather than false ones can be the thing that heals all broken wounds. Maybe a hobby like meditation, gaming or watching movies until your heart's content can take the mistake's blow to a minimal level. Or even an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's may soothe a broken wound.

Looking long-term, the situation may fizzle out. You may still feel the burden years later, but maybe happiness, freedom, and life will find a way to happiness.

And to those going through a similar fate: no, there may not be the reset button, but there are ways to fix the future.