to college students

I'm Only In College, I Don't Have To Have My Whole Life Figured Out Yet

I was the little girl who felt lost if I didn't have a life plan.

982
Julia Price

When I was really young, I had said for years that I wanted to be a princess. Or well, a princess for the rest of my life because I already thought that I was one. When I was seven I wanted limos, fans, and an extensive wardrobe. I wanted to be a pop singer, like Hannah Montana, but then I found out that I had a serious case of stage fright. After learning about my fear the hard way I came to the conclusion that concerts were only a thing reserved for my family.

During the ages of eight and nine, I went through a stage where I wanted to be a car salesman. I grew out of that when I found out that my odds of selling a BMW to Chris Brown were slim to none. At age ten I had thought that I wanted to be a veterinarian. That was out of the question when I realized that I faint at the sight of blood. When I was eleven I thought that I wanted to be a teacher. That changed when I realized that I hate school, I don't like kids, and they don't like me.

When I was twelve, I put my stage fright days behind me and was ready to do big things. After spending my childhood going through so many phases and trying my best to figure out the career choice that I felt was right for me, I decided that I wanted to be seen, and I wanted to be heard. So I wanted to be a news anchor for my local news channel. I was still set on that idea when I applied for and moved into college, but now that I am here I'm starting to rethink my life a little.

I'm in a new environment, experiencing new things, meeting new people, and it really has me thinking and reevaluating my life. I know that I still want to pursue a career in the journalism field. I want to be, and I will be a journalist one day. I'm just starting to look into different career options along that path.

Maybe I do want to be a news anchor for WBKO, but I could just as easily work for "Good Morning America." Maybe I want to be a sports commentator or even a columnist. What if I had the chance to host my own talk show? The opportunities are endless!

The point I'm trying to get across is that it is OK to not know what you want to do with your life yet.

The career that you choose should be something that you enjoy doing, and sometimes it takes time to make a decision on whether or not what you choose is something that you are going to be happy doing for the rest of your life.

We live in a world that revolves around money. I've heard too many times, "money makes the world go 'round," and while that may be true it shouldn't be a factor that you're basing your life on.

Don't waste the rest of your days doing something that you have no interest in doing. We are young, and we have time. Take that time to think on things, or maybe try something new, because I promise you that once you find the path that you want to be on you will know it and it will be worth it.