I Don't Have A 'Dream Job' Yet But That Doesn't Make My Life A Nightmare

There is nothing wrong with trying different things out first.

364
pexels

Being well into the second half of my undergraduate career, it is time to start thinking about what I will do after graduation. Do I want to go to graduate school, or go straight into my career? Either one would be a good option, and I can even go to graduate school later after my career has started.

When seeking guidance from mentors, professors and advisors, they always ask "well, what's your dream job," and I instantly go silent. Frankly, I have no clue what my "dream job" is.

Growing up, I always said I wanted to be a lawyer or a nurse. The whole nursing thing got thrown out quickly when I took anatomy in high school and hated it. Law school has not been completely thrown out, but I definitely did not enjoy my required media law class.

I chose a public relations major because I knew I would be good at it, but I'm not exactly sure where I want it to lead me. Originally, I felt bad for not knowing exactly what I want for my career, but now I know that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with trying a few different jobs and careers before discovering your dream job. There is so much out there in the world, even more than I could possibly think of, and I won't know if I love it until I try it. I'm open to the possibility of my career taking me anywhere, and for me, that is more exciting than knowing exactly where I want to be in 10 years.

So, whenever I'm asked about my dream job, I say that I'm not sure yet but that I'm open to the different possibilities. After graduation, I might end up being a magazine editor, a PR maven, or maybe something unrelated to my degree. I know that wherever I end up, I have the tools to be successful.

As long as you stick to what makes you happy and you pursue that with passion, the dream job will come, whether you know what that is right now or not. It is important to keep an open mind, life may surprise you.